SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car: 2006 Sportcombi 2.0T

Issue: Wednesday, I get into my car to head to work and it starts up fine. I forgot my wallet, turn off car after it had been running for about 2 mins, and run inside. When i come back out and start it up, a crazy shaking occurs from engine bay and my tailpipe is spewing smoke. I am terrified and give it a little gas, shaking gets worse. I turn it off and on again quickly, still occurs. Smells like gas. I call Roland over at Swedish Underground (I'm in Brooklyn) and he tells me I had a false start due to the quick on/off and that my engine was misfiring likely due to a computer issue. Told me to leave it for 5-10 and come back. Alas, it starts fine and i make it to work, a little smoke for first mile or so but smooth sailing after that. No sputtering or anything. On my way home I notice I have a check engine light on, but still no issues. Yesterday, I start it up to move for street cleaning and again, smoke and sputtering, shaking doesn't seem as intense or alarming. I turn it off/on once or twice and its back to normal. I drive to a local mechanic and he reads me the following codes: P0245, P0201,P0202, and P0300. I asked him not to reset and proceeded home completely puzzled.

What is wrong with my car! After speaking and informing of codes, Roland said it could obviously be a number of things: faulty computer, wiring issues, vacuum leak, but he thinks it's nothing too expensive. He doesn't believe it is an injector issue. There is no availability in the shop for two weeks, so i am stuck with a car unpredictable problems until I can bring it in.

Should I be concerned with driving around it around town when it starts up normal? It seem the problem is random. Will it get worse? Being that I've only started and stopped it a handful of times, I dont really know if this problem will increase and will eventually only misfire upon startup, or if it is in fact, random. Should I wait for Roland's appointment or bring it somewhere else/ fix it myself? Has anyone experienced this problem before? Anything else i should know?

Some history: Car is at 140k, replaced coils and spark plugs about 25k miles ago after having engine misfiring at higher RPMS. Never had any other issues.

Thanks! Any advice is welcomed!

TLDR: Randomly upon startup, car will either run fine or misfire with engine shaking and smoke from tailpipe. Smells like gas. Blinking check engine lights when idling. Turning it off and on seems to fix the issue. Codes are P0245, P0201, P0202, and P0300. Never had any issues like this in the past. When it starts up normally, no symptoms are present.

UPDATE: Just tried to start the car and couldn't get it to operate normally by turning on and off. Every time it was sputtering with a misfire and spewing white smoke, strong gas smell.

·
Super Moderator
19,621 Posts
Most likely bad ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Finally was able to get it to turn over correctly after a few more tries. Let it run for 15 mins, smoke eventually stopped and no sputtering or misfire when I gave it gas. There was some smoke from around turbo area during first 5-10 minutes of running but eventually stopped. Smelled more like oil than gas.

I am thinking I may disconnect battery (neg side) to try and reset ecu before turning on again...not sure if that will do anything.

Would buying and replacing ECU myself be a good first step, seeing as I have a good week and half before Swedish will see it?

·
Super Moderator
19,621 Posts
Can't without tech2. Not plug and play.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Disconnecting battery will not help.
Its 100% ECU.
Need tech2 or trionic software to be able to swap the ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything else i can do while i wait to see my mechanic on June 5th? Source the parts myself? Avoid operating it? Is there anything i can do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a used ECU and waiting on mechanic availability to install/ pair with Tech2.

Yet the strangest thing happened over the past week. I let my car sit for a few days, and upon starting, there was no longer any check engine light. My car has started normally the past 10 times and appears to be operating normally. Yet, the codes were still present when checked with computer.

Is this just further evidence of an ECU on the fritz? Or did the car fix itself!?

All of these misfiring/ecu issues started after a quick on/off of the engine, which my mechanic dubbed as a false start. I am still going to replace the ECU, but i am looking for any excuse to think I can drive my car with more confidence.

Can someone advice? While I wait for my mechanic, can i drive my car?! I am going crazy with no transport! Should i not trust it? Worst nightmare is driving it somewhere distant and having the car stuck false starting.

Oy!

·
Super Moderator
19,621 Posts
Drive it around and when it gets hot I bet you start having issues. Your call on if you want to risk it or not. I wouldn't drive far. Around town? Sure. Worst case it needs towed to the mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ECU or has or combination of other Items

Im new to the fourm My 07 93 has 200K+ and most of what scdailydrive88 has stated is what my car is exemplifing. Is this a best scenario to use a Tech 11 tool and will that provide me with what is most likely happening under the hood. If so any one aware of a tech 11 owner in the Detroit Metro area

1 - 14 of 14 Posts