SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks like that disconnected vacuum line in one of your other posts will probably correct the idling problem, but new plugs every so often can't hurt either... Ron
Here's to hoping. I'll keep you guys updated after I clean the TB and fix the vacuum line issue tonight.

I have an 02 T7 Convertible and there were a few causes for my stalling, I fixed all of them:

Broken vacuum lines
Crankshaft Position Sensor (This was the main culprit for idle stalling issues)
Improperly gapped plugs

Not sure if the T5 is known for CPS issues, but I would start there if you've tried everything else. It's cheap and fairly easy to replace at home. ;ol;
I actually have a rogue CPS hanging out in the engine bay most likely due to it having been replaced by the previous owner and them not wanting to snake the old one out of the bundle. So I'd say it's a safe bet that doesn't need replacing (but not out of the question; crazier things have happened). And I checked the gap on the plugs myself before installing last week.

That just leaves the vacuum lines, which, as I just discovered in another post, is a promising lead that I'll be exploring tonight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got a new PCV check valve yesterday and some vacuum hose.

Cut some new hose with the check valve inline an took her for a spin last night.

There wasn't any stalling but she did still bog down occasionally at idle before getting a quick rev courtesy of, I assume, computer compensation somehow to bring her back to normal idle.

So....either the generic check valve I am using isn't appropriate for the application or something else is wrong.

Ah the joys of tracking down bugs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't overlook the CPS, but in all reality it's probably NOT the actual CPS but rather a degraded contact or damaged wire. If you have intermittant contacts or varying resistance from the CPS signal wire you can get dropouts and stalls, especially if it seems to track with engine heat. But that's true for any electric component, I guess.

My CPS tested fine with a multimeter when tested for resistance. But replacing it cured the low RPM stalls I was getting. You can find the values for your particular version on this forum somwhere.

As you already know, chasing down a problem like this has many trails to follow. . .

Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Don't overlook the CPS, but in all reality it's probably NOT the actual CPS but rather a degraded contact or damaged wire. If you have intermittant contacts or varying resistance from the CPS signal wire you can get dropouts and stalls, especially if it seems to track with engine heat. But that's true for any electric component, I guess.

My CPS tested fine with a multimeter when tested for resistance. But replacing it cured the low RPM stalls I was getting. You can find the values for your particular version on this forum somwhere.

As you already know, chasing down a problem like this has many trails to follow. . .

Good luck!
This may be a dumb question but I'm no expert on these cars. There is a pull-a-part down the road that has a couple 900s but no 9-3s. Would the CPS from one of those work (given that it is functionally operational, of course)?

If mine turns out to not give proper readings or maybe I just want to try a different one, it'd be nice to drop $10 instead of $50.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you dropped the engine check the vacuum lines around the brake booster and the intake manifold sensor leads as well. One of them may be loose.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you dropped the engine check the vacuum lines around the brake booster and the intake manifold sensor leads as well. One of them may be loose.
I've already replaced all vacuum lines and the problem persists. I will check electrical connections this Friday.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
This may be a dumb question but I'm no expert on these cars. There is a pull-a-part down the road that has a couple 900s but no 9-3s. Would the CPS from one of those work (given that it is functionally operational, of course)?

If mine turns out to not give proper readings or maybe I just want to try a different one, it'd be nice to drop $10 instead of $50.
Yes the CPS from any turbo ng900 will work with a 1999 (non Viggen) 9-3,

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've already replaced all vacuum lines and the problem persists. I will check electrical connections this Friday.
I found my manifold absolute pressure sensor plug sitting atop (but not plugged into) the connector on the sensor. YMMV.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Firstly, I just want to say thanks to all of you that have been providing your input to this ongoing problem. It's not solved yet but it's nice to consistently have new ideas and things to look at from you guys (and girls?) ;ol;

I have YET to get to my T/B because nobody in town has a T/B gasket and I'm so reluctant to just make an order for the gasket itself :roll:

I did do a compression check today though.

• #1 @ 150
  • #2 @ 155
  • #3 @ 154
  • #4 @ 152
IIRC 150-200 was normal range as long as there was no more than a 5% difference between cylinders. So this eliminates the possibility of the head gasket/poor compression being the cause, correct?

·
Registered
18,816 Posts
The TB gasket is a rubber o-ring. They can usually be regreased with a little silicone and used again... although I can't guarantee it. If you have to keep the car on the road and can't risk it, it would be better to have one on hand. They are large and not something you'd find locally.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The TB gasket is a rubber o-ring. They can usually be regreased with a little silicone and used again... although I can't guarantee it. If you have to keep the car on the road and can't risk it, it would be better to have one on hand. They are large and not something you'd find locally.
Yeah it's that big circle with a rectangular piece jutting out of one side correct? I think local Oreilly's said they can have one within a few days so I'm gonna go with that. I really have to get that TB off and clean it so I can eliminate it as an issue

·
Registered
18,816 Posts
Yeah it's that big circle with a rectangular piece jutting out of one side correct? I think local Oreilly's said they can have one within a few days so I'm gonna go with that. I really have to get that TB off and clean it so I can eliminate it as an issue
Yep... that's it. The top one is round, the bottom one has the added rectangle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep... that's it. The top one is round, the bottom one has the added rectangle.
Hmmm...Finally got around to pulling the TB and I got this:

So, wrong gasket? I've never seen this gasket shape before when searching for TB gaskets for my car. What gives? TB obviously needs cleaning, and there's a break in the gasket towars the top left triangular opening. Bleh.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'd really like to replace this gasket as it's got a break in it, is very rigid, and doesn't extend above the plane of the throttle body mount so I doubt it's contributing at all to a good seal there.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement? I'm still very confused as to why the only gasket I can find is the circle with a rectangular loop off one side.:confused:

·
Registered
18,816 Posts
Factory item only. Use a dealer, eeuroparts.com, saabpartsusa.com, or one of the other factory suppliers.

EDIT: Although... I could be wrong. The aftermarket has surprised me before. Advance Auto might be able to get one, Autozone would be a maybe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Factory item only. Use a dealer, eeuroparts.com, saabpartsusa.com, or one of the other factory suppliers.

EDIT: Although... I could be wrong. The aftermarket has surprised me before. Advance Auto might be able to get one, Autozone would be a maybe.
Why do I not see an image of that gasket anywhere online though? And hardly any pictures of similar TBs? When I had asked at Autozone AND Oreilly's to get me the gasket (before I knew what it actually looked like) the only ones both of them showed were the completely circular one (top) and the circular with rectangular offshoot (bottom).

Is this TB unusual for this year (1999)? Perhaps I can reference a year that uses this TB primarily to ensure I get the correct gasket?

·
Registered
18,816 Posts
Hmmm... when I look at the EPC for the 9-3, it doesn't have anything listed but the b205 & 235. There's nothing for the B204 that you have. When I look at the 900 for the B204, it has the other one with the small rectangle.

Maybe one of the T5 '99 guys here knows...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hmm,

That is the base gasket/oring?. Check out rockauto as they have a few pics...

Fuel/air..throttle body...gaskets...etc..

I saw nothing on Eeuro...I guess we are getting antiquated..)

21 - 40 of 52 Posts