SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here recall a forum member or i believe theres someone in the saab community that used to upgrade the existing shifter linkage that you have. On my 02 93 the shifter linkage has gotten rather sloppy, and the OEM design being plastic and rubber bushings that wear down is not a good design. The newer 95s apparently went all metal linkage.

So ya if anyone recalls this magic person 馃槄 let me know, id love to have my linkage rebuilt somehow versus spending 300$ on a new one from esaabparts.

Now the car still engages into gear fine so im not to worried about it. I could always install genuine saabs short throw kit and that will probably solve a lot of my problems because most of the issue seems to be coming from not the linkage, but the shifter assembly itself. (See attached video)

edit video didnt upload so ill attach a link to a YouTube file when it uploads.

Registered
If I understand that video correctly, there doesn't appear to be any slop between the shifter rod and the gear stick, so the nylon bushing at the base of the stick does not appear worn. I don't recall reading of that problem - it usually seems to be the two bushings in the linkage in the engine bay which wear out (and can be replaced with metal ones). If I'm correct, a short throw shifter will make no difference to the free play.

It would be interesting to get someone to wobble the gear stick around within its range of free play, while you watch what the linkage is doing in the engine bay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I understand that video correctly, there doesn't appear to be any slop between the shifter rod and the gear stick, so the nylon bushing at the base of the stick does not appear worn. I don't recall reading of that problem - it usually seems to be the two bushings in the linkage in the engine bay which wear out (and can be replaced with metal ones). If I'm correct, a short throw shifter will make no difference to the free play.

It would be interesting to get someone to wobble the gear stick around within its range of free play, while you watch what the linkage is doing in the engine bay.
Ya thats what the post was originally about. Those "metal bushings" and where to find em! Ill have a friend wiggle the shifter for me and see how it correlates to the linkage connecting to the transmission

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my shifter linkage has seen better days, the neoprene or small rubber bushings on the small connecting arms are basically disintegrated, and i can imagine the plastic bushings are no better.

Also when i grab the gear selector rod going into the transmission (dont know if thats the appropriate name) there is quite a bit of movement. I realize some play is acceptable but mine seems to move almost a quarter inch of play in either direction.

So with the worn out linkage and the gear selector rod having a lot of play in and out i thinl thats why i have a lot of play.

The linkage is a discontinued item so thats why i was curious how to rebuild my existing one or source a new one. They still sell 95 linkage blast them! They look very nice on the 95 all metal but 700$! Ha! Im curious how much difference a new linkage would make and i cant find one anywhere other than used ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive seen the process to cut apart the existing linkage and upgrade plastic bushings to metal and then maybe i can just measure those small neoprene bushings that those small arms with the balls at the end require because you'll never be able to find them.

Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
I'm not 100% sure, but the linkage with the shifter core I think will solve your issues. Talk to Nick at GS. I'm sure he might be able to help, as it looks like you can exchange cores etc.

Registered
Jeff: are you on Facebook? There is a Saaber out there who is making those shift languages with metal parts. I think I can find his name if I go looking later on. PM me and I'll see what I can find.

For the upgraded little washers that go on the shifter in the cabin, I think your best bet is still GenuineSaab.com

Registered
Jeff. IG3TECH offers a Manual Transmission Linkage Rebuild that I believe I paid $199 for last year. They clean things up and replace the plastic linkage bits with metal ones and it winds up looking like a piece of sculpture. I've been very pleased with mine since they rebuilt it. Their website seems to be on the fritz but their number is: (818) 225-7335 and their address is 2111 Cold Canyon Rd, Calabasas, CA 91302.

Registered
Jeff. IG3TECH offers a Manual Transmission Linkage Rebuild that I believe I paid $199 for last year. They clean things up and replace the plastic linkage bits with metal ones and it winds up looking like a piece of sculpture. I've been very pleased with mine since they rebuilt it. Their website seems to be on the fritz but their number is: (818) 225-7335 and their address is 2111 Cold Canyon Rd, Calabasas, CA 91302.
NOTE - IG3Tech doesn't exist any longer. Dick Lague (the owner) passed away in January of this year. I found out because I was going to send my shift linkage to him to rebuild. That's the bad news.

The good news is that you can replace the ball joints/sockets and upgrade the arms/joints/sockets to metal all by your self. It's @ $30 in parts from Amazon. I've recently done this on my 02 9-3, and it has NEVER shifted better in it's life.

My real issue is that the crappy plastic ball socket ends in the linkage ruined my reverse synchro gear, so I have to replace my transmission - the car will not go into reverse unless it is ever so slightly rolling backwards - all from a stupid $60 part - but ya can't get to it without pulling the tranny apart, and if you're gonna do that, you might as well just replace the tranny.

Send me a PM if you want details on the shifter linkage arm upgrade/rebuild.

Kendal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts