SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hits just keep on coming. I just finished replacing all of my calipers and rotors. Now I'm in the middle of trying to identify acceleration hesitation (lurching) off the start, and now this alarm issue just started.

My car is sitting in the driveway when I hear the alarm. I try locking and unlocking manually and with the fob, but nothing stops it. I tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing. It's loud and would not stop for a good 10 min. I finally pulled it into my garage so the neighbors won't complain if it goes off again. Any idea what's going on? Will it randomly sound again even if I leave it unlocked?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...I should point out that my fob buttons have not worked well for quite a while, so I always lock with they key the old fashioned way. I mention that because I saw a post that said I could lock the car without engaging the alarm by using only the key. That is how the car was locked in the driveway when it went off the first time. So is this not true for the 2000 Viggen?

Thanks,
Mike

The hits just keep on coming. I just finished replacing all of my calipers and rotors. Now I'm in the middle of trying to identify acceleration hesitation (lurching) off the start, and now this alarm issue just started.

My car is sitting in the driveway when I hear the alarm. I try locking and unlocking manually and with the fob, but nothing stops it. I tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing. It's loud and would not stop for a good 10 min. I finally pulled it into my garage so the neighbors won't complain if it goes off again. Any idea what's going on? Will it randomly sound again even if I leave it unlocked?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
Disconnect/pull the alarm module behind the plastic wheel well/fender liner cover on the driver side towards the firewall. You will get a notification unless you turn off with a Tech2, but it will drive fine.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
It's not tough... takes about 30 minutes, 27 of which you'll spend getting the enclosure open. I've had fine luck with cheap Chinese batteries, though if I was gonna do it again I'd buy a dual CR123 holder and use a pair of those. Cost is like $10 or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After googling based on the responses, I found a video that walks through the rebuild. Does anyone know if the 2000 9-3s have the screws that hold the enclosure together or will I need to cut it open? The video shows a 1999 model year with screws. I'm hoping to disconnect mine sometime later today or tomorrow, so I'll know soon enough.

It's not tough... takes about 30 minutes, 27 of which you'll spend getting the enclosure open. I've had fine luck with cheap Chinese batteries, though if I was gonna do it again I'd buy a dual CR123 holder and use a pair of those. Cost is like $10 or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning I pulled back the plastic cover on the firewall side of the driver's wheel well, and the module was not there as far as I could tell. I snapped off most of the rusted 10m bolts in the process, so I only took off enough to peel it back and look behind. I couldn't see a module.

I finally located my misplaced Haynes manual for a 1998-2002 9-3 (not specifically Viggen), and it says the electronics control module for the alarm system is under the carpet in front of the B pillar. The front seat has to be removed to get to it. Can someone confirm the location of the module for the 2000 Viggen? The manual seems to contradict what I've seen posted even for non-Viggen 9-3s.

Thanks
Mike

Disconnect/pull the alarm module behind the plastic wheel well/fender liner cover on the driver side towards the firewall. You will get a notification unless you turn off with a Tech2, but it will drive fine.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I think Haynes is confusing TWICE for "alarm" modules, although maybe 1998s had the alarm there? In any case that's not what's being discussed here.... the "alarm module" is the thing that chirps.... it's not inside the car. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah. Very good point about not being inside the car. That would certainly defeat the purpose of an alarm! Still, I'm not sure why I didn't see it. The video showed the module (although forward of the wheel) just hanging there in plain sight. I saw a wall of what looked to be hard foam insulation that really didn't want to be pulled out and would require me to completely remove the cover before even attempting to convince that foam to come out. That would probably mean snapping enough screws that the cover would not go back on. Thank you 20 years of salty midwest roads.

Has anyone else experienced this foam. Is the module somehow bolted in behind that?

Thanks
Mike

I think Haynes is confusing TWICE for "alarm" modules, although maybe 1998s had the alarm there? In any case that's not what's being discussed here.... the "alarm module" is the thing that chirps.... it's not inside the car. :)

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
There is some sound deadening in the wheel well. Maybe it shifted and covered the module, or maybe it was incorrectly reinstalled. On the 9-3, the module *is* pretty far back there. You do need to substantially remove the liner to gain access - you can't just peak behind it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dug into the fender more this morning. While I agree TWICE is being confused in the manual and the alarm must be in the engine bay/fender area somewhere, I have confirmed at least for the Viggen that it is not behind the wheel well cover on the firewall side. See images below.

The first image shows the wheel well and the plastic liner. The second image shows what's behind the plastic cover when I pull it back. This is the foam that I dislodged. The third image shows what's behind the foam. It's either firewall or some epoxied hard material that seals off the fender area from the door jamb. Whatever it is, it is certainly not removable. And immediately behind this piece is the door. I thought the alarm might be more towards the engine compartment, but as you can see you run into the metal wheel well. The bottom line is that there is very little volume behind the plastic cover in the wheel well. And what is there is filled with foam.

If it's much higher or above the wheel well, that will take complete removal of the cover, including what appear to be a few rivets of some type. I wouldn't go that route unless I know for sure the Viggen is not different. Based on everything I've seem so far for the standard 9-3, the alarm should have been visible by now.

Can anyone with a Viggen confirm the location of the alarm?

Thanks,
Mike

The alarm module and the TWICE are two different things. The alarm is behind the fender liner and is a bit deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found it. You weren't kidding about that cover really needing to be pulled off almost completely. I'll know shortly if the alarm cover is sealed together or screwed on. First I'll need to do some contortions to get at the bolts.

Thank,
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already on order, but I wish I had seen the comment about switching to CR123A with a new battery holder first. But I'll make the CR 17735 work.

Too bad I can let the car sit disassembled while I wait for the parts, but I've done that since the end of May waiting for calipers. I'll probably have to put everything back together. That well cover snaps in pretty tight to the fender lip. Hopefully it's not deformed now that I've convinced it to come off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts