SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a tubular mandrel bent exhaust manifold? Im interested in finding a replacement for the stock cast one. I have a source to have one made BUT the cost will be something like my left arm and my right leg plus interest.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Try GenuineSaab

GS listed one on their web site a few years back. Even if it is no longer one of their "on the shelf" performance parts they may have the prints/jigs to fab one for you.

Jak Stoll used to offer these too, but I don't know where he is working, if he still has the equipment to fab a tubular header, or if he still responds to e-mails sent to his old Jak Stoll Performance website.

IIRC Jak's price was the lowest, followed by GS, with Maptun and others significantly higher.

Hey! It looks like Jak has relocated to Portland Oregon and his web site is still active. Price listed at $800 or $1,150 each, depending on grade of stainless steel requested.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp. The stock unit is of the log-type, which isn't as efficient as tubular, but there are certainly worse designs out there. Go look at the manifold on a stock Volvo whiteblock, for example. Its downright awful.

Tubular manifolds are a giant hassle. You will have to relocate coolant and oil lines at the very least. There are probably several other modifications required as well.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp.
Agreed, so many other things to spend money on before even having to think about worrying that the exhaust manifold isn't efficient. There are literally maybe a dozen, maybe 20 9-5's in the world that are making enough power that the factory exhaust manifold is a bottleneck/power limiter.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp. The stock unit is of the log-type, which isn't as efficient as tubular, but there are certainly worse designs out there. Go look at the manifold on a stock Volvo whiteblock, for example. Its downright awful.

Tubular manifolds are a giant hassle. You will have to relocate coolant and oil lines at the very least. There are probably several other modifications required as well.
Agreed, so many other things to spend money on before even having to think about worrying that the exhaust manifold isn't efficient. There are literally maybe a dozen, maybe 20 9-5's in the world that are making enough power that the factory exhaust manifold is a bottleneck/power limiter.
Actually you need a manifold to reloacte the turbo to install andythin glarger thatn a T25 TD04, or the intake pipe hits the AC bracket molded inot the block, not really for performance.. Tey alos don' thelp on tubo cars all that much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts