SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a few people running around with ram air intakes on them or rather high flow k&N intakes i have an open cone filter on my car (nothing special a cheap spectri) but i want something better i was thinking about going with K&N but someone told me it makes the turbo sound like an owl? or something like that but i have it narrowed down to either a k&N, aem, 4inch spectri filter or a typhoon intake system from k&N unless someone can suggest something better??

·
Registered
463 Posts
+1. if your dersperatge for best filtration get an itg, they have best flow properties and best filtration. don't bother though tbh my canadian friend is correct.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the stock box is looooong gone i didnt know all filters were the same pretty much i thought they were all rated for diffrent flows the higher the air flow the more air that geting into the motor thus more power. thats always been my view espically when tuning.

·
Registered
463 Posts
with your open air set up your going to have enough air flow to support over 500hp. regardless of if its a spectre or itg or K&N.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Firstly - if your turbo sounds like an owl (hoots) then the dump valve is faulty ;)

Secondly - I'm not sure I agree that any filter is fine........some of the heavily oiled ones can mess up your MAF as the oil migrates into the system.

Forget the performance side of things as we should all agree that the stock, clean paper one is fine for tons of power, the only reason for going "open air" is the noise.

·
Registered
463 Posts
aww yeah forgot to mention that part...
think papers only good up to like td04-19t level, then after that think you need better flowing.
k&ns suck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya my stock one had to go bye bye it had a huge hole in it and the pervious owner duct taped the whole closed O_O but alright then thanks for the input guys i guess ill just stick with k&N. how are these filters though if you plan on running a fmic ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
its ok. enough filtration. i had a k&n but now have an itg with 06 snorkel after i was strrrrongly advised to bin the k+n by my tuner (abbott racing) and people on here. its just the prob with k+n is that for petrol engines they only make them around 96%effective to filter. paper filter and itg both give over 99% filtration properties, which is what you want on any turbo car, ESPECIALLY a tuned one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright thanks guys ive checked out the itg website and thats actually the filter i was refering to in the first place just didnt know what it was called thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I had twin ITG's on my Alfa 33 :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
exactly. all of above plus not oily at all like k&n. my k&n was "pre oiled" and way to oily for my car.
itg is what rally cars and F1 cars use ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
abbott racing supply tm for about £60. maybe if you emailed them they'd understand that you want to try and source it more cheaply in the US and give you the part no.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ITG actually has a website for here in the us the filters run about 80-124$ with the water proof sock being and extra 30ish or so. i dont know how much 60 franks xfers into american ?

heres the website in case anyone wants to check it out http://www.itgfilters.net/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts