SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spec: 03 Saab 93 Linear launch

So about a week ago I noticed after waking up in the morning that there was a large amount of condensation on the inside of the front windshield. I also happened to notice that none of the other vehicles had this.

It was only a couple days later when I went to load some groceries in the passenger side that I noticed the floor was soaking wet. And so began my research.

I've searched through several different Saab/non-Saab sites and the most common problem seems to be the AC drain or convert top, which I don't have.

Over the last few days I have not been driving my 93, and I have been watching it very closely. I did run the AC intermittently and did not seem to notice a problem. I pulled up the trim and investigated under the carpet and of course the foam backing was completely soaked.

It rained again today, and unfortunately that gave me an opportunity to confirm what I feared most, its the rain, not the AC drain.

Floor Plywood Wood Beige Rectangle

I've included a phone pic of the water trail. It gets kind of dark towards the top of the trail but I could trace it with my fingers up under the trim. I'm not very mech savvy but I attempted to take apart (false bulkhead?) some covering under the hood and I got to what I believe to be the cabin filter. The cabin filter had water trailing from the top of it, soaking through the left side and then training down through the duct past the filter. I read something about a retrofit rain diverter that was supposed to be past the filter. There doesn't appear to be any protection around this duct. But if this is the case, how could it have gone so long not getting water down in it? It's never been garaged.

I'm sorry for the extraordinarily long reply, but I'm long winded and I wanted to give the best information possible in hopes of help, before I take it to my dealer and lose an arm and possibly a leg.

I can post ANY additional photos that may help you help me.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think some people have had problems with water leaking in around the fresh air filter, I would start there. Also, prob less than 10 inches next to that area is a drain spot, I don't know if this could cause leak problems but, have a look at it anyways mine was completely clogged up cleaned out fine with a few finger sweeps. I did not encounter leak problems though.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Could be four possible causes.

The most common, a disintegrating door gasket/seal.
Secondly, the Cabin Air Filter gasket
Thirdly, if you have a moonroof...clogged drains,
Finally, the water Barrier inside the door has failed.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

drain grommet is bellow, see picture

you must clean this drain grommet.

there is the possibility that water ride from the interior of corrugate hose wire harness, located (see first picture above) next to the left side of the drain grommet, to the passenger floor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your response jlrdrony.

Grille Automotive exterior Auto part Shoe Gas

I went ahead and took some more photos of what I've encountered.

The first is a shot of the filter thats clearly getting soaked. This water is saturating the filter...what doesn't hit the filter is let out through the nearby drain, and that wire bundle looks pretty dry to me.

The third picture shows where the water is pooling and ultimately ending up under the hood before it goes down through the duct.

I called the dealership and they said they have the guard cover for around 33 dollars. I think its kind of ridiculous I have to pay ANY money when it was a retrofit for an obviously poor design.

Based upon these photos, am I correct in my diagnosis or do I need to investigate further? I'm not really sure that a cover over the duct will help too much. It seems like the foam that sits atop the filter housing just sponges water and releases it on top of the filter, and thats what is causing this problem.

In the mean time I have shoved a dry bath towel up under the point of ingress and it seems to be helping substantially.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I noticed another new thread on page 13 I thought I would contribute some more information as I am still combatting this issue.

My drains were not clogged at all, so I took the next step by drilling several holes at the base of the filter slot. While this does help and I recommend it to others, the torrential rain today proved another root cause.

Rain travels down my windshield under the bulk cover and literally pours down behind the filter assembly in between the wall.
MY03 did not receive WIS part 12765989. This diverter was supposed to be dealer retrofitted on earlier years as it later became standard. My dealer wants to charge me $32 for the piece.

After speaking with a Saab rep who advised me that there was no recall or 'special policy' for the part, I kindly explained it should not be the responsibility or expense of the consumer to handle known design flaws that should have been rectified with a retrofit.

So, she's having me take it into the dealership next week and upon diagnosis Saab may cover the cost of the part.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It happened to me in '07. Here is the exact quote from the invoice:

Heating/Cooling
Water leaks on passenger front floor
Cleared cabin air filter drains

Hope this helps. It can cause a lot of anguish.

G

·
Have same problem. Found cabin filter plastic housing gascet disintegrating.Check out this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165760
anyone know how to order the gasket? I bought the cover and that doesnt work, checked my drains and they are clean, i also looked over my passenger door seal and its just fine. I just want the water to stop coming inside my car!!!!! If no-one knows if they sell the gasket would gasket maker work? I cant imagine that the liquid or the stuff i have to cut myself at an autoparts store would be very difficult to make a gasket with for this issue... anyone have any other things i can try to stop having water come inside my car?????

G

·
Just wanted to let anyone else who is having this issue that I found that the gasket that joins up to the firewall where the airflow comes into the car was disentegrated like stated above. I got it at my local dealer for 30 bucks and it was simply to replace. Here is a short write up on how to do it incase anyone needs help. Pull off the weather stripping on the engine and pull up the passenger side wiper cowl. I found that I didnt really need to put the wipers into service mode but you may have to, anyhow, pull the tabs that hold the cabin air filter in place and remove the air filter. Look inside the filter holder and you will see 2 clips they are black look on the inside of the filter housing and you will feel the latches, pop the latches and slide the filter housing out for replacement do the same, slide the filter housing back on the posts that hold it in place and clip the filter housing in place and put your stuff back together and its fixed! I had to do this because I got the filter cover and was still having leaks into the passenger compartment. Easy way to check if you need to replace the filter housing is to simply pull the stuff off and gently tug the housing at the top, i found mine had a huge gap in it beacuse the filter was pretty much disentegrated. Thank all and I hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I had a similar leak on my '03, and the reason was that a plastic tray/gutter, placed on the frame under the rubber grommet drain of the cabin filter, was blocked by leaves and such.

Difficult to explain better in a hurry, I think you'd understand what I mean if you look under the bonnet. The thingie is some 20 cm under the rubber drain, and the narrow passage getting blocked is against the firewall. Simply clearing it with your fingers should do the trick.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Could be four possible causes.

The most common, a disintegrating door gasket/seal.
Secondly, the Cabin Air Filter gasket
Thirdly, if you have a moonroof...clogged drains,
Finally, the water Barrier inside the door has failed.
JonV , Where are the drains for the moonroof.Mine seems to be from the passenger side and not from the front .I have had this issue on and off for a couple of years
I will find the co-pilot foot well wet or directly behind (rear right side foot well).

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
And, when you fix it. It is very important to remove all the carpet and pad down to the floorboard and dry them completely. I also recomend remove the seat and make sue the whole car is dry. This effort will prevent rust later on. By the way, I am pretty sure your filter drain has a blockage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As soon as we got our tanks, we installed Water tank Filter Pads. I can’t believe the amount of dirt , bird droppings & small leaves they collect. I’m glad it’s not all in the bottom of our tanks. These filters collect all the stuff the first flush devices miss.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Anymore info on the diverter part? Any pictures? It wasnt clear from the images above. I know that mine looks like the images above, but the leak from my car is exactly like the one in the OP. NOT from a door. And my drains are NOT clogged. I think maybe ice dam and/or snow someplace it shouldnt be.

But I need to be sure that all the correct parts are under there, because this is really bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anymore info on the diverter part? Any pictures? It wasnt clear from the images above. I know that mine looks like the images above, but the leak from my car is exactly like the one in the OP. NOT from a door. And my drains are NOT clogged. I think maybe ice dam and/or snow someplace it shouldnt be.

But I need to be sure that all the correct parts are under there, because this is really bad.

Thanks!
You will want to get the guard for sure. It is why everyone is having these problems. I tested the before and after with a garden hose and the guard is what is saving the HVAC system from water.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts