SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a saab 9-3 aero 04 plate. When I put windscreen wipers on auto they operate at normal low speed not intermittently as it should do when on auto (rain sensor).
Its says in manual that this means the system has malfunctioned but doesn't tell you what the fix is....any body any ideas please ?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Check behind the rear view mirror to be sure the sensor is in place on the windscreen. It's under a black plastic cover that pries off. The sensor itself is held in place by a metal clip on each side and there is a small plug with at least two wires. I'm not sure on '04 but on my '08 and '09 the rain sensor also acts as an auto headlight sensor. Do your headlights automatically come on when driving in a tunnel or under an overpass (provided the headlight switch is in Auto mode)?

To test the wiper: with ignition on and wiper on Auto, spray water in the area of the upper center "window": it's the clear part within the black shaded area of the windscreen. If there's no "window" then the windscreen was replaced with a non-rain sensing version. The cost difference between a non-sensing windshield and a sensing version is significant. On my '08 the sensing windshield was about US$1000 while the other was around $200. Fortunately, my insurance company agreed to replace it as well as to replace the sensor itself, another $200, when the mounting plate was damaged.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
I do not understand British love of dishes (plates).
Here in real world we care about model years ONLY.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
I do not understand British love of dishes (plates).
Here in real world we care about model years ONLY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts