SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, yesterday I picked up my car with a new rain sensor installed.
it still did not work.
all 3 settings simply activate the wipers on a 17 second interval.
the tech and I were spraying water all over the sensor, but could not get a reaction.
they are looking into it again today, but
ANYBODY have any problem like this with a solution????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
all 3 settings simply activate the wipers on a 17 second interval.
I have not yet played with the settings in the SID for this ..
I think I'm on medium - and they seem to work fine

not really sure how they will change with the settings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
works but........

The rain sensor works but it is not a 100% thing. It may or may NOT activate at all even in a heavy rain (when set of course). It depends i think on the contrast between the actual light that it receives and the light it stops to receive or something when water gets on the screen.

Iv seen mine run a mile is a drizzle and not activate at all in a deluge.:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The rain sensor does not automatically operate when the car is started, you need to move the wiper lever from the automatic position to any other position and then back to the automatic position once you restart the car and then the automatic wiper will show up in the sid display. The rain sensor will not operate until that is done, maybe that's the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,410 Posts
The rain sensor in my 2003 works fine. True, you have to reset it if you leave it in the "on" position.

Although the Saab has much electronic gadgetry, I find the execution to be poor and often unreliable. Dealer support on these issues is wretched, which surprises me because I thought Saabs were geared toward engineering geeks.

Platypus, I suspect your problem lies with a controlling module such as the CIM (column integration module). It could simply be a bad connection of the wiper sensor harness resulting in bad data going to the controlling module. These problems can be hard to track down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ctrlz said:
The rain sensor in my 2003 works fine. True, you have to reset it if you leave it in the "on" position.

Although the Saab has much electronic gadgetry, I find the execution to be poor and often unreliable. Dealer support on these issues is wretched, which surprises me because I thought Saabs were geared toward engineering geeks.

Platypus, I suspect your problem lies with a controlling module such as the CIM (column integration module). It could simply be a bad connection of the wiper sensor harness resulting in bad data going to the controlling module. These problems can be hard to track down.
CtrlZ - I agree with all of your points. the sensor in my 03 works great.
my dealer has been very good, and this is the 1st thing they have not been able to resolve. (my nav thing was a supply issue).
sensor harnes, or bad wire is my worry also. that would be tough.
it is frustrating because if the rain sensor is not working, there are no intermittent wiper functions. yuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,509 Posts
As I recall, from the Off position, 2 steps up then one back down turns it on, back down again turns it off. Although I do find occasionaly I have to reset it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
JonV said:
As I recall, from the Off position, 2 steps up then one back down turns it on, back down again turns it off. Although I do find occasionaly I have to reset it.
Thank you. I never knew how the rain sensors were turned on. I thought they were 'on' by default and mine just never worked. And I never dug deep enough in the user-manual (if it's even outlined) to find it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
interesting, MY07 9-3 convertable, you just push up once and they are on -- little icon on SID

If i turn the engine off - Ihave to push the lever down to off and then back up again once, to reactivate - but thats all, and thats in the manual I think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I didn't notice any icon on the SID of my 2005 93ss when the rain sensor is on. Must be something new for the 2007 model?

Don't quite appreciate the rain sensor as it tends to wipe too often and too rapidly especially when one is crusing. Not sure if this is intended or the system is overly sensitive (mine is set to low sensitivity).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that icon was new for 2006. isn;t that when they did away with mid dash SID?

I love them. i think they work great. it is impossible without them here in the northeast with road mist and light rain.
My 07 Aero has been at the dealer since last Wednesday trying to fix this issue.
They have replaced everything. stalk, sensor, wires and it still does not work in my car. They have taken all of those components out, put them in another 07 and they work fine.
Someone from Saab engineering is supposed to be flying in today to look at it.

Yesterday, the service manager said my car is haunted.

At least my NAv is finally working. oh wait, I can't tell where i am going because I am driving my daughters 03.

i still love the car. eventuallly i will get to drive it. i did get the 07 i wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Don't quite appreciate the rain sensor as it tends to wipe too often and too rapidly especially when one is crusing. Not sure if this is intended or the system is overly sensitive (mine is set to low sensitivity).
I find it works very well, I went on a 350mile tour this weekend and it was on most of the time, ocassinally it becomes irratic, and wipes to often or not enough - and I just switch it off and backon again it recalibrates and 9/10 works ok from then on - sometmes it has taken two recalcs to work OK
so i did that about 5 times in 2days and had it on pretty much all the time ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
platypus said:
I think that icon was new for 2006. isn;t that when they did away with mid dash SID?
QUOTE]

Mid-dash SID was still in 06s, gone for 07. My 06 does not have an icon for the rain sensing wipers. They seem overly sensitive, even when I set them to the least sensitive setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
platypus said:
They have replaced everything. stalk, sensor, wires and it still does not work in my car. They have taken all of those components out, put them in another 07 and they work fine.
Someone from Saab engineering is supposed to be flying in today to look at it.
I'm sure they did but just double check... Make sure the cover for the sensor is installed correctly. Mine is loose and when it falls off (not all the way off, just more loose than normal) the auto wipers stop working. If I push the cover back into place they work absolutely fine.

I need to replace that cover.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top