SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's an issue to all Saabs, or just my car, but my rain sensing wipers rarely work as they are supposed to. I've read and reread the manual concerning the operation, but it seems like there is no rhyme or reason as to when they decide to wipe. I will have gallons of water on my windshield and they won't wipe, then 3 seconds later, it will wipe with a few drops.

Anyway...enough rant. Is there a way to disable this obviously dysfunctional system and just use regular, old fashioned intermittent wipers? I mean...rain sensing wipers is a cool idea and all, but if it doesn't work, what's the point?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I didn't know that Saabs had this...

Looks like the "up" position of the wiper control stalk is automatic for you. Try moving it down one click to take it out of auto mode.

For those of us without a rain sensor, that "up" position is intermittant. The next one is off, further down is slow, then the all the way down position is high.

The fault diagnosis in WIS says to make sure that your sensor is fastened well enough to the windscreen. This will help if you want to fiddle with it. What happens if you try that up position with the rain sensor detached?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have the same problem with mine also.
Usually giving it a hard tap or pushing it firmly against the windshield will do the job for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blinktude said:
I have the same problem with mine also.
Usually giving it a hard tap or pushing it firmly against the windshield will do the job for me.
What exactly am I giving a hard tap? It's hard to make anything out from that diagram.

·
Registered
805 Posts
zachmaster said:
What exactly am I giving a hard tap? It's hard to make anything out from that diagram.
if you look behind your rear view mirror, there is a black rectangular box with silver clip holding it to the windshield. The black thing is the rain sensor and if you press the sensor to the windshield when in intermittant mode, the blades should wipe the windshield immediately.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My auto wipers have quit all together as well as my intermittent wipers. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I checked the connection by the rear view mirror as well as checked the fuses. both seem to be fine. any help?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I hated them at first.......probably took me 6+ months to get used to, but rarely do I curse them at all now, in fact in the 3 years I've owned the car I don't think I've ever used the 'normal' always on down postion on the wiper stalk.

Only gripe I have with them is if it's raining and you park and switch off the car, you have to remember to re-activate them again when you get back in the car and drive off by returning the stalk to the horiz neutral position and then pushing back up again......:roll:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ben Young said:
My auto wipers have quit all together as well as my intermittent wipers.
If you have rain sensor wipers you won't have normal intermittent function as well.....the rain sensor function replaces the intermittent function.....;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
what i mean is, now that the rain sensing function doesn't work, the only wipe that does work is the normal switched all the way on function. any idea why they don't work, a regular problem or fix?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ben Young said:
what i mean is, now that the rain sensing function doesn't work, the only wipe that does work is the normal switched all the way on function. any idea why they don't work, a regular problem or fix?
Not come across any particular problem with the rain sensor wipers, so I would guess as has been said, it could be a failing windscreen sensor.

Have you done a bucket of water or garden hose test yet?

One other thing, has the windscreen been replaced recently or at some time....maybe a reason that the connection is quite right..??

Other than that, does plugging into Tech2 read any fault codes....?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts