SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so the other day it rained heavy and our 9-3 2000 convertible began leaking. We looked under the inside skirt and the water was just dripping in at several points (wherever it was pooling above). You could see the drops coming in. We picked up some raggtop cleaner and protector. Followed instructions and did 3 coats (2 coats is what is recommended). Today its raining heavy and the car is leaking again. I think this stuff works for light drops but its a definite failure at waterproofing. The water did bead when we lightly sprayed it with the hose after a few days (48 hrs for the product to fully cure).

I have used raggtopp before on a non-leaking convertible. But that was after using Renovo recoloring formula which is brush applied.

Anyways, wondering if anyone who has actually had leaks, has tried the Renovo ultraproofer? The stuff isn't cheap and I don't want to spend more dough on something that is going to fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never used Renovo but my 900 was leaking couple of years ago and used Autoglym cabriolet cleaner and protectorant and worked a treat for me... used again this may and still keeping dry.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I've used Renovo for years, but the top was in good shape when I start and not leaking. So, it may or may not work.

I put it on with a short bristle brush and really work it into the material. A 32 ounce bottle will do the roof twice. If you want to do two coats, start the second one as soon as you finish the first one - if you let it dry overnight then the top will be waterproof and will refuse to accept another coat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Renovo Didn't Seal the Leaks - New Idea

Hi everyone,

So I went ahead and ordered the Renovo cleaner, black dye, and ultra-proofer in hopes of sealing the leaks I have in the top.

I went ahead and applied the cleaner twice as per the instructions. Waited for everything to dry and then applied the black dye. After the dye dried I applied 2 rounds of ultra-proofer. Its been a few days and we finally got some steady rain and the top leaked again. I didn't seem as much but still water came in from the puddle areas on the top.

I emailed renovo and they emailed me to try another round of the ultra-proofer. I will say this stuff is WAY BETTER then the Raggtopp spray. I wish I hadn't wasted dough on 2 kits recently.

After applying the ultra-proofer, the water does in fact bead even when sprayed strongly from the hose. Very impressive.

So anyways today I did another round of the ultra-proofer. As I sat in the car I pealed back the inner material so I could so the top. At this point, I noticed very small pin sized holes where I could see light from the sun. It was difficult to get the correct angle, but its pretty obvious the sun and elements have caused small pin holes.

Ok, so now I am thinking and still trying to not give up on this top. I had an idea and wanted to see if anyone thought it was worth while. I was thinking of pulling off the material on the inside so I could see the canvas. Then I was going to pick up some Duplicolor fabric color spray (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/) and spraying the interior liner. :cheesy:

This paint seems flexible and I am pretty sure it would seal up those tiny pin holes where I could see the sun coming thru. Anyone think this is worth a shot?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Ok, so now I am thinking and still trying to not give up on this top. I had an idea and wanted to see if anyone thought it was worth while. I was thinking of pulling off the material on the inside so I could see the canvas. Then I was going to pick up some Duplicolor fabric color spray (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/) and spraying the interior liner. :cheesy:

This paint seems flexible and I am pretty sure it would seal up those tiny pin holes where I could see the sun coming thru. Anyone think this is worth a shot?
If there are just a few small pin holes, I might try RTV sealant on the inside where the holes are. But, if the canvas is separating at the fibers throughout the fabric, I think you will need to replace it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi BobSaabit,

I agree it seems the fibers are starting to separate and allowing those tiny holes to develop. Today I took some some karnak tar used for damp proofing basement below grade walls and with a brush lightly coated the areas I am seeing the pin holes.

The light coat of tar seemed to be sealing the tiny pin holes. I am going to see if its possible to easily remove the grey soft material so I can coat the whole under side of the top. The tar is very flexible once dried which is key if I ever want to open the top again. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

I found a great thread on the construction of the these tops. Its a 3 layer system and the side I am tarring right now is dobby lining which is the inside part below the twill weave outer fabric.

Good info on these tops:
http://www.leakpro.com/services/CT-Types.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136866-roadster-fabric-top-detailing.html

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I replaced my canvas top last march is there any products to put on it regularly to help keep it in good shape and prote t from the sun and such? It was 1200 to do it and I want to keep this car for along time. I do plan to get another car for a dd in about year after me and my gf get our house, then I will turn this car into my fun car even if it's an auto. Thats why I got a spare box

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best stuff imo is the Renovo line. Their cleaner and ultra proofer is applied with a brush. Raggtops stuff is a spary can and just common sense it doesn' apply as well and it def does not beat water the way renovo did for me. Ebay via europe is cheaper then the local NJ distributor btw.

condaddy did you install the top or have it installed?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
The best stuff imo is the Renovo line. Their cleaner and ultra proofer is applied with a brush. Raggtops stuff is a spary can and just common sense it doesn' apply as well and it def does not beat water the way renovo did for me. Ebay via europe is cheaper then the local NJ distributor btw.

condaddy did you install the top or have it installed?

I used Renuvo on my ng900 for 12 years. Made some changes when I could not get it. See this post: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2198902&postcount=3

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the 303 Space Age protectant a few weeks ago. Water beads off the top in amazing fashion. They claim a treatment to last up to 3 years. We'll see...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
hey bob what do you suggest i do to help keep my new to good and long lasting? I see you said you used renuvo but cant get it anyone or not for cheap atleast. I readabout your other post about that sea stuff. Do you think that would be good to help presereve my good top, or do really suggest the renuvo?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
it wont damage my roof? I mean like take away any special coating thats on the new roof right, like I mean is this good to use now or till I start to see fade and wear? I know you dont know forsure but IYO

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
it wont damage my roof? I mean like take away any special coating thats on the new roof right, like I mean is this good to use now or till I start to see fade and wear? I know you dont know forsure but IYO
Neither Renovo or Sea Safe will damage anything. Both very gentle, water based, they don't even smell. Sea Safe is even bio-degradable.

Use a brush, work it into the top, clean up any drips onto the paint as they happen. Do the second coat as soon as you finish the first - if you let it dry overnight it will repel the second coat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts