SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I would like to start out by saying that I am new to the forums.
I just purchased a 2003 9-3 Arc and half of my radio display pixels are dead. This is NOT the top SID unit, but the middle radio display screen. I have been searching hard to find a fix for the radio screen, but I am not having any luck. I am only finding SID fixes unfortunately. I would really like to fix the radio I already have. Is the only fix to get a new radio? If so, is there someplace to pick up a good quality one cheap? Would it be possible to find a parts radio to fix mine to avoid the marrying issue i read about once? What part would need to be fixed/replaced? I do not want to go aftermarket, because I want to keep the stock look and use of the SID. The radio sound quality is already great and the previous owner installed a sub in the back. I have attached a photo demonstrating the issue. Thanks!

Vehicle audio Electronics Audio equipment Green Technology

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Hello everybody. I would like to start out by saying that I am new to the forums.
I just purchased a 2003 9-3 Arc and half of my radio display pixels are dead. This is NOT the top SID unit, but the middle radio display screen. I have been searching hard to find a fix for the radio screen, but I am not having any luck. I am only finding SID fixes unfortunately. I would really like to fix the radio I already have. Is the only fix to get a new radio? If so, is there someplace to pick up a good quality one cheap? Would it be possible to find a parts radio to fix mine to avoid the marrying issue i read about once? What part would need to be fixed/replaced? I do not want to go aftermarket, because I want to keep the stock look and use of the SID. The radio sound quality is already great and the previous owner installed a sub in the back. I have attached a photo demonstrating the issue. Thanks!

View attachment 31563
U did not just say the radio sounds GREAT did u? Lol. Anyway u can search ebay and online for a second hand ICM2. You can find decent prices, also you can get one in not so great cosmedic condition and swap out the screen if your handy. It plugs in with a ribbon cable, and you remove the radio face and you can see what needs to be done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm undertaking this project now. I took the faceplate off of my spare icm2(i was very careful in removing the faceplate) and released the ribbons, but it turns out you need to remove two very small torx screws to take off the screen. I'll have to put it off till tomorrow because i didn't have the rights size keys for the screws. I'll let you know how it goes for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm undertaking this project now. I took the faceplate off of my spare icm2(i was very careful in removing the faceplate) and released the ribbons, but it turns out you need to remove two very small torx screws to take off the screen. I'll have to put it off till tomorrow because i didn't have the rights size keys for the screws. I'll let you know how it goes for me.
Thanks! It would be nice to know it is possible before I go and buy a spare radio. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Sorry, my bad for not mentioning the 2 small screws. I just figured they would be self explanatory once u opened it up. And I'm just of the mindset, that anybody who owns a SAAB has a set of torx drivers. :-(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry, my bad for not mentioning the 2 small screws. I just figured they would be self explanatory once u opened it up. And I'm just of the mindset, that anybody who owns a SAAB has a set of torx drivers. :-(
They better have a big set of torx drivers lol. If not there screwed.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They better have a big set of torx drivers lol. If not there screwed.....
I just have a small set right now I used on aircraft. I am an aircraft mechanic and not even they use a wide variety of torx like this car does. Almost all aircraft use mostly regular screws and bolts. I will be getting a larger set soon since this car requires it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts