SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
There is a diagram in the Infotainment manual. It is not by any means a schematic.

Otherwise, this place is your best source for info.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Smoketown said:
Yeah I'm looking for the board level electrical schematics. Thanks for the help though
Board level is not available even to Senior Saab Technicians.

Best bet is to pull apart the amps and find the power amp chips and get the tech specs if you want more power. If its MOST related, forget it. You need a full decoder and then need to know which timeslot you need for which functions you want. Reverse engineering may be possible, and I may be able to help as I've had the rear amp apart before.

Give us more information as to what you want to do and we'll give you as much help as we can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm looking more at the radio. I know I'm stuck with having it in the car but I'm trying to countersink it into the dash by about an inch or so. One option is to rebuild the radio housing the other is where the schematics come into play, finding the needed components within the radio and relocating them, that way I can remove the stock unit.

One way or another it will happen, I work on stuff way more complicated than MostNet so I know I can get around the system one way or another.

When I finish the project I'll be sure to post what I ended up doing plus so pics of a killer sound system.

After this I start adding performance related parts.

Thanks for replies

Ciao

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Smoketown said:
Well I'm looking more at the radio. I know I'm stuck with having it in the car but I'm trying to countersink it into the dash by about an inch or so. One option is to rebuild the radio housing the other is where the schematics come into play, finding the needed components within the radio and relocating them, that way I can remove the stock unit.
I'll give you a quick primer on what is known about the amps, which is not much.
First, the "approved" Saab terminology is:
EHU - Entertainment Head Unit, contains the amp which drives the front 3" speakers and rear 4's
AMP1 - under the left front seat, drives the center 4" speaker and doors (6.5")
AMP2 - in left trunk compartment, drives two 6x9 subs (this amp only present in 300W configuration)

Drivers:
AMP1 - TDA 7386 (very similar to TDA 7385)
AMP2 - TDA 7374B
You can get specs at www.st.com

AMP1 is designed to drive 4 channels @ 4 ohms. Pioneer uses it to drive 2 channels at 2 ohms. AMP1 also contains a separate driver for the center channel. Don't know the chip.

Don't know the configuration of the EHU. No one has really cared about trying to modify the guts.

The amps are sourced from Pioneer's OEM division in Belgium. I e-mailed them two years ago and they told me to basically take a hike. They said I had to deal with Saab directly.

This isn't much help to do any serious work, I know. We really wanted to get line level signals out of these amps, but ended up dealing with the speaker level signals. We also had a member from the Saab team which designed this system (Entertainment). He offered a few insights, then disappeared.

You'll be carving your own path.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well here's what's going to be done to the car.

The CD player will be removed and bi-passed and an Alpine DVD flip up monitor will be installed, There will be two Amps installed, 1 Alpine 5 channel surround sound amp 65 x 5 and 1 Alpine sub amp 600 x 1. The speakers will be JL Audio 3 way components for the door/dash and for the rear deck. The center channel will be a JL Audio 4" coaxial and 1 10" JL Audio W7 sub mounted in the trunk ported into the cabin through the rear deck.

The reason I'm looking for the info on the radio is to move it out of the way so the Alpine GPS Navigation system can be installed in its location. This way everything will still be intact for the MostNet and there will be no problems what so ever with the fuel management system.

A good friend of mine runs one of the local audio shops in the area and he knows the North American Pres. of Pioneer OEM very well, basically I was told that Pioneer cannot give the schematics to me due to the contract with Saab and I understand why, I work with almost all of the auto makers so I know how they like to keep things hush hush thinking everyone is out to steal their technology.

As I said one way or another I'll figure out how to do this and I'll be sure to share everything I learn.

Anyone know of a place I can get the basic factory radio cheap so I can gut it?

Ciao

·
Registered
63 Posts
SmokeTown

It is my understanding that the entire system can be removed without any problems as long as the proper Tech II options are deactivated.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Radio can be removed, that is, the EHU can be removed.

The ICM, which I guess you are calling the radio (Mounted at higher level in dash with volume knob etc) is an integral part of the BUS interconnection system in the car.... It also includes some immobiliser functionality, so remove it/alter it with GREAT CARE, and certainly you will need your dealers help. Whilst you may have worked on much more Complex systems than MOST, the technology is proprietary, so you may not have the right equipment to do it.

One option is to hide the ICM module behind the dash, allowing you to keep the Indicator noises, dashboard lighting control etc. I see this as the only option.

I would suggest remobing the CD player (EHU) and fitting a head unit in here, and use a remote display mounted in the place of the ICM. This will mean the depth required in the ICM slot will be much less, and would look mighty cool too, if you can get hold of a small touchscreen.

Maybe a carpc would be better for this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I plan to do is mount the new head unit where the CD player is located. The ICM (radio control) is what I would like to relocate. I talked to the dealer and they said if removed it can and will cause fuel management problems and they have had cases where they had to replace the ECU (PC Unit) due to someone not knowing what they were doing.

The CD/DVD player I'm going with is the Alpine 310 it has a flip up screen and I'm basicly wanting to do what you just said gjdavies, the touch screen for the GPS system will be located where the ICM is located now.

As for TechII options being deactivated you still would not have a way to compleate the fiberoptic loop thats needed for the system to run by removing the CD unit you can bypass the fiberoptic cable from that location.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out without gutting the system is how I can rebuild the unit so the LCD screen can be fitted over the ICM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts