SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had an ECU upgrade added to my '99 9-5 2.3L. It was the Saab stock upgrade released for the 2000 that increased the HP (great upgrade by the way). However it had an interesting side effect. For a while my FM reception was greatly improved. However, in the last couple weeks it has returned to the fuzzy sounding reception I had before the upgrade.

Just a second to explain my reception (before the upgrade and now), AM reception is good all the time. FM reception is great if the engine is not running. FM reception is very fuzzy if the motor is running.

So here are my questions. Has anybody else run into the feeling that their radio reception problems only exist when the motor is running? Was my improved reception a coincidence or is there a link between radio reception and the ECU? Should I try any adaptation to the connector for the ECU and see if it fixes the problem? Can you use di-electric grease or something on the connector to improve the connection?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to improve my FM reception which is great without the motor running.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Does the fuzzyness go away if you turn off the heated rear screen/door mirrors? Some have found they effect signal clarity when on due to the aerial being in the same sheet of glass.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Nordic upgrades allow you to listen to the radio faster :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only the motor running!

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion about the rear window and mirror heaters. I checked that earlier because I read about that being a problem for some folks. It is not my problem unless it is somehow stuck on anytime the motor is running. My radio truly works great if the motor is not running. When I start the car the reception goes all fuzzy on FM, AM is fine. Some times it seems better than others but for several weeks after the ECU upgrade it worked perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts