SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the way home today, my radio just decided to quit working ('04 9-5). I turned it on once and then turned it off for a few minutes while driving. I then decided to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. Everything else works, however (the climate control beneath it and the SID above). I checked the fuse box and the 10A fuse was good. Any ideas?

Also, I am new to SAABs and decided to test the "night panel" button to see what it does. Well, it turned off all the lights except the speedo (and with that only lit up to 90MPH), but the scary thing was all the gauges besides the speedo all went to ZERO or turned off. Is that the way it is supposed to work? If so, what were to happen if your car started to overheat and the gauge was off? Seems kind of foolish to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I go back in the car and try the radio again and now it works! So I tried flipping through and programming some stations.

Then I turn it off and back on to test it again and the "FM1" indicator comes on with NO RADIO STATIONS and will not respond to any of the buttons to change stations. The CD and TAPE, however, do come on.

So, I turn it off one more time and then turn it on again and it works with the radio stations working again too.

What gives? Any ideas what could be going on? I did just have it worked on by a shop today and they did have the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That happened to me too last year. Was driving, and all of a sudden the radio just stopped working. Tried to change channels etc, but to no avail. Thought it was dead, did not even check the fuse when I came home as it was late. The next morning it was working again and has been working ever since. Sorry could not be of help, but there is obviously some glitch in the electrical system somwhere but have no idea what it was/is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's weird problem that's for sure.

So, I just disconnected the battery for 5 minutes to try and reset the radio, etc. and it seemed to work for now. I'll check it tomorrow morning and see if it sticks and continues to work.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Also, I am new to SAABs and decided to test the "night panel" button to see what it does. Well, it turned off all the lights except the speedo (and with that only lit up to 90MPH), but the scary thing was all the gauges besides the speedo all went to ZERO or turned off. Is that the way it is supposed to work? If so, what were to happen if your car started to overheat and the gauge was off? Seems kind of foolish to me.
Yes, this is the way it works.

If any gauge goes out of range or into a danger zone, it will relight to let you know. Give it a try, let your fuel go low. When it gets to 1/8th of a tank(or about there), the temp, turbo and fuel cluster will come back to life in the night panel mode. If you change the radio channel, the SID will come back to life for a moment and then go back out if there is not any activity.

If you go above 90 MPH, the rest of the speedo will light up until you drop back below 90 MPH. Yes this works:cheesy:

I never tried to red line the tach so I don't know if that will re-light if you enter the yellow or red zone. I'm sure the rev limiter will prevent you from staying in the red zone very long. Bad Quote Warning from the movie "Airplane" "The Red zone is for loading and unloading only"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Climate control and seats not working

Thanks for all the replies. Now, I have even more problems. Not only does the radio work intermittently, but the climate control is doing wacky things like when I press "auto" going into defrost mode and not going into the proper mode according to what button I press.

The driver's side seats also do not adjust anymore (nothing happens when I press any of the buttons).

All of this did not happen, until I took the car into a shop for repair and got it back yesterday. Do you think when they worked on it they could have messed up the software or didn't connect something back right?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check your voltage at your battery. With and without the engine running. 12 volts not running, 14 volts running.

Weak batteries and alternators going south will cause all types of electrical issues. Also check the ground wire from the battery to the block to make sure it is tight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'll check that. When I bought the car about a week and a half ago, they had to jump start the car on the lot, so I wonder if it does have a weak battery.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Batteries only last about 3 yrs in these cars. If they had to jump it, a new battery is in order, but check your alt output while you are in there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'll try the battery approach for this problem. It's worth a shot.

I have never owned a car that was that "quirky" with small discrepancies of voltages within the battery. Either it started the car and worked, it didn't start the car nor worked, or you at least got some warning on the dash about the battery being bad (flickering battery or alt light, etc.). Never random and intermittent electronic accessory failures. Very strange.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, as I just disconnected the battery and then reconnected it after a few minutes and everything started working again. Radio and climate control.

The same thing happened last night when I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Seems like if it was an alternator issue, that would not be the case. Maybe a software issue, perhaps?

Also, figured out the power seat non-function issue. The memory switch bank had a couple switches that were stuck. I freed them up and then the power seat adjuster levers started working. Seems the switch buttons are sticky, so I just ordered another one of these switch units from eBay for $15.99 from an '09 9-5. Glad, at least I know why that wasn't working and the fix for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts