SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually know what people do to “re-code” radios ?

I have a SAAB 45 18 924 radio cassette CD controller in my 9000. I recently had to disconnect the battery and therefore had to type in the code. The code didn’t work so I called SAAB who gave my brother-in-laws garage the code over the phone (talk about security checks eh?). It was the same as the one I had already had.

Therefore I assume that someone has had the stereo re-coded at some point.

To date, everyone who claims to be able to re-code the radio is in fact just some idiot with one of those £1.99 disks off E-bay with the lists of all original codes by serial number. In other words, all they can do is give me back the original code allocated to the serial number.

There must be a lithium battery in the stereo somewhere that retains the code (could be an EPROM I suppose). I really haven’t got a clue.

In all the months I’ve been looking up SAAB parts on E-bay, I’ve only ever seen one 45 18 924 for sale and that didn’t even have the code anyway.

Have I really got to take it into a SAAB dealer to re-code it (forty mile round journey)?

Alternatively, what stereo models slot straight in without any effort ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Couple of things, have you left the radio on for a hour to clear the memory,as you only get 3 attempts before it locks you out, and try leaving a couple of seconds between entering each digit, one of mine would not take the code and the dealer told me to do this and it worked.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Andrew Jenkins said:
Have I really got to take it into a SAAB dealer to re-code it (forty mile round journey)?
nope, a Google search will give you loads of sites that will give you a code by email or over the phone for less than £10.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Big problem is if you keep trying codes you'll reach a lock out point, then you'll need a different unlock code prior to dialing in the code to get it working, I had a car audio engineer explain this to me today, 80%+ washed over me but I got the gist of the fact there is 2 levels of security and you need a special device to remove the lock with the code some software will give you.

I watched him do an old Blaupunkt Madrid of mine this afternoon, the keycard went 'potty' on me and and locked the unit, until this 3rd party device was attached the unlock code meant nothing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The stock SAAB radio will not allow you to try more than three times. After that, it is non-responsive. You have to leave the key in ignition at on for an hour before the next three attempts.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Andyaero said:
nope, a Google search will give you loads of sites that will give you a code by email or over the phone for less than £10.
Does this apply to US spec cars?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't know, all they want is the radio make and serial number so I don't see why not, the bloke I've used in the past is a Manc, sounds like Liam Gallagher, are kid. Surely there are places in the US do the same?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Found the website. Yes. It can be done. They charge $38 for a SAAB. But I think I want to try the dealer first. They may want to see the title of my car before giving the code to me, hopefully free.

This is on the 94cde I own which came with a radio asking for code when I bought it. I have since put the radio from my wrecked 94cs n/a in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.

I have done the "leave it on for an hour" bit that Is quoted in the saabsite.com FAQs but it still didn't work.

What I haven't done is leave a gap of 3 or so seconds between typing in each number of the code - so guess what I'll be trying in an hour or so...

Yaofeng -just make sure your not paying $38 for something that a SAAB dealer will give you for free or you can get for £1.99 off E-bay.

There's a guy in NYC selling a 45 18 924 on e-bay along with the CD and an older type of SAAb stereo all for $77 the last time I looked. Guess what though - no code !!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I have one of the later model where after you **** it up 3 times in a row you press the BAND button and the word code comes up again. Do I even need to worry about the hour thing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HELP How do i get my Kenwood Stereo with ISO adaptor to work ?

As a temporary measure I’ve bought a practically brand new Kenwood Stereo from E-bay for £10.50.

It came with an ISO converter.

My Saab has the following under the dash:

Aerial Connector

The CD connector (pointless until I get my Saab/Clarion stereo going again).

A big red connector.

Two smaller connectors that fit into the ISO adaptor that connects to the Kenwood.

I can’t get the stereo to work. What am I doing wrong.

There’s people on e-bay selling a Saab specific ISO connector which might well find a use for the big red connector that currently doesn’t have anywhere to slot into.

I s that my problem ?

Help ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I just got a '95 9k Aero states side and I will have to replace the battery soon. The car did not come with a manual. While the radio is working can I get the code from it. I have the Harmon-Kardon unit with seperate CD player and a removable buttons. Or will I have to call the local stearship that sold it tome to get the code?:evil:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
How can you not get the code from the stealership when you get the car? By all means give them a call. They should have the code and should give to you. Don't pull you battery before you get the code.

·
Registered
739 Posts
To take out or not?

When I called the stealership I bought it from they stated that they would just need the VIN # and they could get the radio code for me. But then the parts guy called back they said they would have to take the head unit out to get to the code??:evil:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The one near me demands to see the title and registration of the car before I can pay them to duplicate a key of my car. Very arrogant.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a feeling the stereo you bought from ebay may be knackered..I bought a kenwood mp3 for mine, slotted straight in, one of the connectors from the saab is unused if i remember rightly (been a couple of months since i fitted it though so might not!), but the others that do connect do the job and it all functions correctly. only takes a minute and no adaptor needed.

Get yourself a new decent stereo and unlock codes problem will disappear as you can throw your old one out! The standard stereo is a bit rubbish anyway to be fair. get a kenwood kdc w6527 like mine, they're the business!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts