SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I understood that all 9-3 models onwards required Tech II in order to marry/divorce the units from the car.
However looking at the Saabsite FAQ
http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93faqs.htm#Radio+Code+Issues
it suggests that this only applies to 1999 onward vehicles.

Can anyone verify this from a 'I have done it' perspective.

Reason is , I have a dead 1998 9-3 that has Radio/Cd player assy (already remoced) and a 1999 with Radio/Cass.
I would like to swap them over if poss.
Obviously it will depend on when in 1999 and at what Vin number onwards this changeover started , if indeed any of them could be done without Tech II but any input would be appreciated.

Ta

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
In the US, the 9-3 wasn't introduced until 1999, and thesaabsite is based in the US. The 9-3 in general used the code system, so a European 1998 9-3 radio should also use a code.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeremy

Here in the UK, a code is not used on the 9-3 (the 900 does), TechII is required to marry/divorce the units. It states this in the owners book too.
That really is why I was surprised to read that on the saabsite and wondered if anyone was able to verify it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Interestingly, the model I have here is Clarion PU-2135A, only fitted to the 9-3 for the 98-99 model years (part number 4710331).

A little googling tells me that the PU-2135A is indeed coded :)

Now, how to find the code.
I have all the docs from the original car (1998) but nowhere does it mention a code.
I have no idea what the SID shows up when plugged into the original car as it has zero pixels although the headunit all worked fine:-(
However, plugging it into the 1999 model the SID shows ' radio locked'

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Jeremy

Here in the UK, a code is not used on the 9-3 (the 900 does), TechII is required to marry/divorce the units. It states this in the owners book too.
That really is why I was surprised to read that on the saabsite and wondered if anyone was able to verify it.
Sorry, I typed that wrong. I meant to say that the 9-3 uses the marriage/divorce system, not a code. I'm surprised the one you have uses a code. Even the '99 radios here have to be married. You might try calling a dealer to see if you can get the code. They're usualy pretty good about giving those out if you give them the serial number on top of the radio.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
I will call the dealers and see what they say. I suspect they will tell me marriage/divorce is needed mind you.
The comment on the saabsite is the first time I have heard any suggestion that any other method was used on the 9-3.
Googling the PU2135A suggests a code but we will see :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts