SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2005 9-5 and it's asking for a radio code which the dealer couldn't find. Is there an easy way to find the code? Right now you can turn on the radio by holding down the radio and on/off buttons but the radio isn't functioning correctly. Just keeps going from speaker to speaker. Any help?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
The radio has probably divorced itself when the battery has been disconnected. You need a Tech II (Saab scan tool). It's a 30 second job to remarry, but there's no way around needing the tool.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Depending on where you live there's a good chance there's someone with a Tech2 nearby. Check this thread

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I believe they all do this eventually. I think I’ve read its the BIOS battery dying? Luckily mine hasn’t done it yet (2004, 147k miles). If so, after you re-marry it with tech 2, it will do it again next time you deprive it of power.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I believe they all do this eventually. I think I’ve read its the BIOS battery dying? Luckily mine hasn’t done it yet (2004, 147k miles). If so, after you re-marry it with tech 2, it will do it again next time you deprive it of power.
I'm not sure if it's all, but it does seem to get more common as the cars age. I wonder if someone will come up with either a fix or a repair service, otherwise the owners without convenient Tech II access will be out of luck.

I like my factory head unit with the weather band feature and Dolby B/C cassette.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not sure if it's all, but it does seem to get more common as the cars age. I wonder if someone will come up with either a fix or a repair service, otherwise the owners without convenient Tech II access will be out of luck.

I like my factory head unit with the weather band feature and Dolby B/C cassette.
Someone on The Saab Network has come up with a fix, apparently it is an EEPROM circuit. Search for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’d say the more your battery goes dead the more likely it is to happen. My trunk sensor was bad, telling the light to stay on. Had to jump my car many many times and my radio code happened after that.

The problem is that the chip in the radio that tells your car it’s identity is bad. The car and radio maintain a connection when the battery is charged. This is another Saab anti theft design that has now become a nuisance

The chip itself is like 50 cents. My father in law soldered mine in but it seems fairly easy and he found some instructions online.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Here's a link to the Saabnet article that says what chip needs to be replaced:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Just a casually related thought: This does not seem to be a problem with the "Dame Edna" cars (2006+) and our GM-ified head units. I have never heard of this being an issue on the 06+ cars. Anyone else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts