SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
A few days ago, I had to replace the bulb on the left headlight on my 2003 9-5. To make things easier, I took out the battery to give myself more room. Much to my surprise I am now getting a message on the SID "radio code". This the first time I have seen this after having disconnected the battery at various times over the past years. After searching thru this forum I was able to get the radio working again by holding the radio/band down while pushing the power (volume control) on. The radio cycles thru the various speaker selections (front speaker, side speaker etc.) Turning the radio off and then back on produces the same "radio code" message.
Is there any other combination of switches that would work? I hate to take the car to the dealer and pay $100.00 for about 5 minutes of tech 2 time.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
DWG.

·
Registered
433 Posts
not sure, but try turning the key to position 2(On) with the engine off, and holding clear till it dings. turn it off and take the key out, and then take her for a drive/what to get the "radio code" on. my SID had a message saying "service soon" and it worked to clear that.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Pull the radio out and take it to the dealer; they can give the code from the serial numbers on the back of the radio, and the VIN; most dealers used to do this for free, you might find one that will; without the code you will need a Tech 2 to re-marry the radio. Sometimes this might work; Whenever the battery is removed or disconnected you have to leave the radio on for an hour without the car running to reset the code.

Hello all,
A few days ago, I had to replace the bulb on the left headlight on my 2003 9-5. To make things easier, I took out the battery to give myself more room. Much to my surprise I am now getting a message on the SID "radio code". This the first time I have seen this after having disconnected the battery at various times over the past years. After searching thru this forum I was able to get the radio working again by holding the radio/band down while pushing the power (volume control) on. The radio cycles thru the various speaker selections (front speaker, side speaker etc.) Turning the radio off and then back on produces the same "radio code" message.
Is there any other combination of switches that would work? I hate to take the car to the dealer and pay $100.00 for about 5 minutes of tech 2 time.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
DWG.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm going to try leaving my radio turned of for an hour tonight.
I puled it out yesterday and unhooked the neg battery cable in hopes doing so would fix the "Radio Code" SID message.
One thing about having ht radio turned on.... Mine wont turn on, it just says radio coded on it.
It's worth a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Hello All, I finally got my radio going again. Thank you all for your suggestions. After trying all sorts of button combinations, nothing worked. I finally took the car into my local repair shop who assured me that their computer scanner could fix the problem. They pulled the radio out to get the "code" only to find out that there was none. That cost me $85.00. I took the car into the Saab dealer today and the radio is now working again. The tech told me that the only way to fix the problem is electronically i.e. with the tech II. He also told me that by disconnecting the battery for some time more than likely messed up the radio. Anyway, that cost me another $148.00. It's my own fault though, by trying to go cheap in the first place.

Dave G.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm new to Saab ownership, and am wondering how do you replace the battery when it's time, without having a radio code pop up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, I asked the same question. You can use an external power source like a small 9 volt battery which is plugged into the cigarette lighter. This supplies enough juice in the radio to make sure it still remains "married" to the car. I plan on using a small 12 volt gel cell battery which I have to replace the car battery power.

Dave G.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had my battery out for several weeks when I did my clutch, dropped sump and other stuff. I had no radio problem when I hooked battery back up.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
+1 on that

I've had the battery out of all three of my 9-5's when doing repair and have never had this happen. something screwy happened to your radio/car when you took the battery out that caused this. Too bad.

I'm wondering what would happen if I sold my car and put the factory radio back in and took out the Pioneer AVIC? The radio has been in a box in my garage for at least a year now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most radios do nt divorce...

I had my battery out for several weeks when I did my clutch, dropped sump and other stuff. I had no radio problem when I hooked battery back up.
This Radio Code issue does not affect all Saabs. Many members have indicated no problem disconnecting the car battery and not getting a Radio Code when reconnecting it.

My car is of the other type. I changed the battery last month in my Aero and have had a Radio Code since. I had connected a second battery via a set of clips but at the very last second of the reconnexion, one of the clips disconected. Bingo, I was due for a visit to a Saab dealer with a Tech II and 50$ less in my pocket. I still have not done it. I just will not listen to music or radio for a while.

I should have though of the lighter outlet as I have what is needed to provide it with 12V current. Thanks for the head's up on this one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It still is a mystery why this happened science I have disconnected the battery numerous times over the past years that I have owned the car. The tech at the dealership just said that "it sometimes happens." Not much of an explanation but I guess that I will have to live with it.

Dave G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2003 Saab 95 arc V6
Same problem first time ever.. Took battery out before many times. No problem. No Radio code. Worked fine.
This time I wanted to reset ECU ...... So I disconnected the battery and to discharge the ECU I tuned the key to On Position. That discharged the juice left within the system. Now radio code appeared first time.
Like David G. said I tried
I was able to get the radio working again by holding the radio/band down while pushing the power (volume control) on. The radio cycles thru the various speaker selections (front speaker, side speaker etc.) Turning the radio off and then back on produces the same "radio code" message.

It is good for me. Radio cycles in speakers .... better than nothing. CD and runs same way....

Thanks to the forum. I'm certain that pushing certain buttons it should work.. ......

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Someone over on Saabnet figured out the cause of this issue. It's a chip in the radio that gets too old and can no longer hold the memory settings. The only long-term solution is to have a new chip soldered in, or get a Tech 2 and re-marry the radio every time you have to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Someone over on Saabnet figured out the cause of this issue. It's a chip in the radio that gets too old and can no longer hold the memory settings. The only long-term solution is to have a new chip soldered in, or get a Tech 2 and re-marry the radio every time you have to disconnect the battery.

I was waiting for someone to post this. The Eprom gets old and can no longer keep the radio code in its memory,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Jeremy R. The writer of the post is genius
I just ordered 10 chips. Upon arrival I will install and report. Other chips I will send to forum members if they like at no charge. Help others. God bless us all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts