SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently the green backlight to my radio stopped working. All the button and functions on the radio still work its just the backlight that is broken. When I push the front face of the radio in however the backlight begins to work again. Any ideas on how i could fix the connection?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This is a connectivity situation; remove the radio and repair(soldering?):cheesy:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I just fixed mine. Its pretty easy.

• Remove the radio
  • Take off the top cover
  • Make sure the wires running to the front cover aren't all knotted up (they do that so they don't get into the CD mechanism)
  • Pull the volume knob off
  • Release the four catches (two on each side) and pull the face plate off. When you pull it off you will be unplugging a connector.
  • Examine the solder joints on the connector mounted to the face plate. Three of them have wide traces running to them on the circuit card. Chances are that the one on the very end has come loose. Instead of being shiny, the solder joint will be dull.
  • Using a small soldering iron, re-solder the joint. Don't get it real hot or you will damage the circuit board. I had the temp on my soldering iron set to 300°C and it worked well. I removed the circuit card from the face plate for this step, but its probably unnecessary.
  • Re-assemble and re-install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts