SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time user so bare with me. I recently bought my first Saab which is a 1995 900 s. I found that when im in the car for a while it is overheating even where the ignition key goes it is hot to touch! I attempted to empty the radiator by the radiator drain plug and nothing came out so i unhooked the two top tube and put water through the coolant tank and it only came out the top (Doing it wrong most likely). Am i better off removing the radiator to clean it out or would a flushing product do the job. This car is a labour of love and i want to do it myself.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
We have ,apparently ,two problems, the first seems to be a misdiagnosis. The ignition switch should never become that hot- the resistance at the switch contact must be very high - its a wonder she even runs...;oops:

There may be nothing wrong with the radiator.
At the coolant reservoir, is the level at the right place and is it stable ?
Does the car warm up with -in five minutes ?
What is the engine coolant temperature reading at its gauge ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

The coolant is at the right level but it has an orange colour (maybe rust)?

The car does warm up within the five minutes alright and the temperature gauge is bang on in the middle.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Sounds to me as if there is nothing wrong with the cooling system, if there was then the needle would go off the dial.

With regard to the ignition switch heating up, on the '95 900S the cat is directly under the ignition switch, it may be worth checking that the heatshield above the cat is still in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts