SaabCentral Forums banner

Radiator replacement / ATF Cooler comparison

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Nathan 9⁵ 
#1 ·
SO.... the '01's radiator cracked and left me stranded a while ago. I ordered a new genuine Saab replacement the next day and here's the comparison pics, and some other pics of the job for fun. Both radiators were made by Harrison and had a SAAB GM logo on them, but the coolers are much different, for good reason. The original was almost identical to the aluminum V6 oil cooler, which is famous for leaking. The replacement appears to be steel, and of the same design of the new steel V6 oil coolers. The V6's oil coolers are also made by Harrison. Hmmm. Wonder why they're using steel coolers now.

THAR she is, the cooler. That dirty betch. =D

Hmm. Looks like a V6 oil cooler don't it?!

Just the same as the alum. V6 oil cooler innards.

Internals of the replacement, looks exactly like the steel oil cooler for the V6.

Over all it was very easy to replace. I actually had fun doing it. I'm glad Harrison has taken the initiative to step up the quality of their products. The original lasted 114K. It cracked on the hot side tank, near the hose flange, where they always crack.

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh Nissens. :confused: Logic would have told me to go with Nissens, since it's a Scandinavian company. BUT I used a Nissens on my Volvo, and the ATF cooler wasn't up to par. Its flow rate was much less than the OEM Behr unit, and as a result I had constant Transmission Overheat codes in warm weather, or even in cool weather going over a long mountain pass. When I replaced it with the OEM Behr radiator, the end tanks of the Nissens had evidence of coolant weeping from the seals. I had only used it for a year. The company I bought it from, a Volvo specialty place, has also stopped carrying Nissesns since they've had several similar issues in their shop. AND a friend of mine who has an '01 BMW 330i has had issues with his replacement Nissens we put in last summer. For me Nissens and ScanTech replacement parts are a big :nono;

#5 ·
I had to order my radiator from the Saab dealer. Sometimes you just have to go there. =( It's been my vast experience with the Volvo, ordering parts from eEuroparts trying to save some $ on an "oem equivalent" part like ScanTech or Nissens usually ends in me having to do the job again with an original part. Check out a page from my purchase history. Most of it is the Volvo. There's two alternators for the Saabs in there though. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.