SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the third time:
I'll be driving along, decide to put the pedal to the metal for whatever reason, and soon thereafter my 'check radiator' light will come on. I sigh and pull over at the nearest spot.
The same thing happens. The thick hose connected to my radiator (driver's side) has magically come off again, even though the hose clamp is damn tight. There is coolant all over the engine bay, the ground, and my car's exterior.
Any clues on to why this is happening?

Also, if this weren't a big enough problem, there seems to be some knocking in my engine bay. I can't find where it's coming from, I pray it's not my engine knocking...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Maybe the two are related and your water pump is on the way out :confused: , is it a knocking sound or a rattling sound, is it louder when the engine is hot or cold or does it stay the same, does it vary under load or engine speed ?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
How does the hose come off?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The rubber hose is slipped on a pipe stub with raised end. If you tighten the hose clamp just enough so the clamp diameter is less than the end diameter of the stub, it'll never come off. And that applies to either the radiator plastic end and the head side alloy end.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
If it is the top radiator hose that is falling off the it is the plastic nipple that breaks after a while leaving insufficient pipe remainign to grip the hose. A new radiator is the only fix.
The plastic end tanks have molded in nipples for the hoses to attach. The hose clamp usually stresses the nipple at a certain point and when it gets old enough it fails exactly there.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you are sure everything is intact, my guess is the hose clamp on the connection was not tightened properly. I'd make sure it is tightened.

But if the loosened connectin is on the radiator, you don't want to overtighten the hose clamp either. The neck on the radiator is plastic. You don't want to crack it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts