SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I source radiator/heater hoses for my 1991 900S? Seems there are plenty of kits for the turbo, but not for the non turbo. I have a leak, I believe, in one of the two hoses down along the frame rail on the driver's (US) side. Looks like there is a pipe in between the two hoses, I assume the transmission cooler? Also, the hose by the distributor cap that everyone cautions will explode at the most inopportune time is looking a little "weak". I would like to replace as many hoses as possible if I knew where to source them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok. someone may correct me if I am wrong, But I believe you can use the turbo rad hoses on the NA but not the otherway around. The lower hose on the turbo has to jog around the aftercooler.
If it has an auto box you need hoses for the auto box car because, auto box lower hose is flared out to accept the oil cooler (and is 2 piece hose).
Again I believe the 90 hose on the head is the same between turbo and non, but hopefully someone who is more sure will chime in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not seeing a large number even on eEuroparts. Car is a 1991 900S Convertible. And as much as I dislike the Uro brand, it seems I may not have much of a choice. Hopefully they have increased their quality over the years.

The short hose that comes out of the bottom of the radiator and connects to the metal trans cooler is the one I am not finding. The search continues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
JVanabra, can you confirm or dispel what I said (and think) about turbo vs non turbo hoses?
I'd like to know for my own knowledge.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I'm not seeing a large number even on eEuroparts.
I'm not sure what you're looking for... There are only like eight hoses on a c900.

Radiator in & out
Heater core in & out
Throttle body in & out
Expansion tank
Heater outlet

Ok. someone may correct me if I am wrong, But I believe you can use the turbo rad hoses on the NA but not the otherway around. The lower hose on the turbo has to jog around the aftercooler.
The only hose that may be different is the lower radiator hose. '88+ turbo has a branch for the turbo cooling... Earlier turbo and NA don't have this. Later NA will have the the auto trans cooler in there as well, whereas the turbo used an air:fluid heat exchanger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only hose that may be different is the lower radiator hose. '88+ turbo has a branch for the turbo cooling... Earlier turbo and NA don't have this. Later NA will have the the auto trans cooler in there as well, whereas the turbo used an air:fluid heat exchanger.
Ok, I got a hose for and early 900 and my (85 turbo) car has a dog leg on the lower hose to go around the intercool that the replacement hose does not. I assumed (never a good thing) that the hose I got was for a NA. Other than missing the dog leg bend at the lower rad connection the hoses look similer.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
That could be. I never mess around with the lower radiator hose since there are many variations on it. All the other hoses are the same, but the LRH is very specific to equipment. We're very fortunate all these molded hoses are still available in one way or another... I have other oddball '80s cars where it's a lot of Frankenstein work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not seeing a large number even on eEuroparts. Car is a 1991 900S Convertible. And as much as I dislike the Uro brand, it seems I may not have much of a choice. Hopefully they have increased their quality over the years.

The short hose that comes out of the bottom of the radiator and connects to the metal trans cooler is the one I am not finding. The search continues.
Which hose are you talking about? #3?

Font Rectangle Parallel Art Drawing

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ahh. I thought he mentioned 1991? That's weird it shows that for '91. You're an expert on those models for sure. I am not! You'll guide him better for sure.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I get what you're saying, but that layout is clearly not a c900 engine bay... "Translating" the NG900 part to a c900 part would be tenuous, and the part count isn't the same. Personally I would not choose to work that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see where most of the turbo hoses would work, but the hose that comes out of the lower driver's side of the radiator and into the transmission cooler is the one I am concerned about. The shorter of the two, the one that connects the radiator outlet to the trans cooler pipe is the only one I can't seem to find. That hose looks flared on the end that connects to the trans cooler and sometimes the pictures are the most accurate.

Pardon my ignorance, new to Saabs, but is there a site like EPC I use for my Mercedes, where I can select year, model, etc and it shows an OEM parts schematic?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
NLA just means Saab doesn't make them any more... There is always Gates, Dayco, Continental, Mackay, Uro, etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where can I source radiator/heater hoses for my 1991 900S? Seems there are plenty of kits for the turbo, but not for the non turbo. I have a leak, I believe, in one of the two hoses down along the frame rail on the driver's (US) side. Looks like there is a pipe in between the two hoses, I assume the transmission cooler? Also, the hose by the distributor cap that everyone cautions will explode at the most inopportune time is looking a little "weak". I would like to replace as many hoses as possible if I knew where to source them.
There's a guy in Silver Spring, MD who recycles used SAAB parts. If you can get ahold of him and tell him that you don't want any rubber parts that look too mummified, he might be of help. On eBay,I put in "Used SAAB 900 radiator hose" and he came right up: autonoel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BTW: having owned only non-turbo 900's and saved any/every part I could; if you totally strike out on something you need, get ahold of me. If the moderators permit it, here's the direct line to my auditory nerve: 973/487-6176.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts