SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 89 Saab turbo with 67000 miles seemed to be running extremely high (at almost red line) with both cooling fans running and no ac (previous owner required it..). So I replaced the radiator and thermostat, temp switch last fall. Now I’ve noticed there was coolant smell and upon further investigation I found the radiator gooseneck to reservoir tank broken...have no idea but the piece is plastic..
Is there anyway to repair this?? It took an entire day to get the radiator out because so many things are in the way so I’d really like to avoid having to do that again!
Any help appreciated..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If the car is already running hot, replace the radiator. They are not expensive and it's not difficult.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it was running hot so I had just replaced the radiator and had been driving for a few months. And then this broke....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the tube that comes out of the radiator to connect the hose to the reservoir tank. It’s brand new now used for may be 200 miles.. it’s plastic which I can’t believe...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Pretty much all radiators in passenger cars and light trucks are plastic, so that isn't unusual. If it just broke while driving, I would take it back. If it broke because you hit it with something, unfortunately you're gonna be buying another one.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
There is plastic epoxy designed for radiators, but it doesn't work very well or for very long. IMO not worth the risk. There are repair techniques as well that involve basically melting the plastic back together, but for such a small nipple I cant imagine it working. You can Google "plastic end tank repair" to get a sense of options... but for $100, I just cant imagine worrying about the longevity of a repair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow I never knew something like that existed. I’ll give it a try see what happens. At least it will let me drive the car to shop. I cant change the radiator in this weather I’m NY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts