SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

The cooling fan on my 2002 93 seems to always be on lately, and also tends to stay on much longer after turning the car off. Also, it seems like the fan is running on high pretty, as it is much louder after turning the engine off than it used to be.

The engine temperature gauge on the dash sits right in the middle after the car warms up -- just like it always has.

What might be the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I also saw that I don't have a low fan speed relay, neither the necessary wiring in my relay box...
I hope someone has a simple solution to this ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it turns out the the radiator fan was a symptom of a larger problem and not a problem itself.

The fan was doing exactly what it is supposed to do: turning on when the engine gets hot. It turns out that my radiator is partially plugged, causing the engine to run hotter than normal which would trigger the fan.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, it turns out the the radiator fan was a symptom of a larger problem and not a problem itself.

The fan was doing exactly what it is supposed to do: turning on when the engine gets hot. It turns out that my radiator is partially plugged, causing the engine to run hotter than normal which would trigger the fan.
Really? How did you find that out?
Thanks man because you reported the outcome, I am going to check mine. ;ol;

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? How did you find that out?
Thanks man because you reported the outcome, I am going to check mine. ;ol;
The engine temperature gauge started showing hot on the first warm day. I was able to turn the heat on full blast to keep it cool until I got home, but knew right away that the fan was merely a symptom.

I took the car to the shop, and they figured out that the problem was a clogged radiator. As a bonus they found that my transmission lines have corroded and I need new control arms.

A quick check for you would be to check feel the radiator hoses at the top and bottom to see if they are the same temperature. Though with a partial block, that may not really tell you much.

For me, that '02 93 just turned into a project/extra car. The repairs costs exceed what I'm willing to spend on a 10 year old high-mileage car. The repairs are not overly complex, but I can't do them quickly myself. So, I'll buy another car and do the repairs on the '02 at my leisure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The engine temperature gauge started showing hot on the first warm day. I was able to turn the heat on full blast to keep it cool until I got home, but knew right away that the fan was merely a symptom.

I took the car to the shop, and they figured out that the problem was a clogged radiator. As a bonus they found that my transmission lines have corroded and I need new control arms.

A quick check for you would be to check feel the radiator hoses at the top and bottom to see if they are the same temperature. Though with a partial block, that may not really tell you much.

For me, that '02 93 just turned into a project/extra car. The repairs costs exceed what I'm willing to spend on a 10 year old high-mileage car. The repairs are not overly complex, but I can't do them quickly myself. So, I'll buy another car and do the repairs on the '02 at my leisure.
Well I never had high temps judging by my gauge. Maybe it is what you are saying - partialy blocked radiator, or weak water pump. I am going to try to feel the hoses, but as you said, there probably won't be a big difference.

It is too bad for your car, many people have the same situation, including me... But, oh well :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts