SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi need help 1995 areo going in for a ecu upgrade and fan not working. car boiled over the other day so checked the cooling fan never came on so gave it a direct live and it works fine and does not boil over.

as its a 1995 it does not have the temp sensor in the radiator to bridge and the gauge on the dash means nothing as it dont really work its controlled by the ecu, do you think its the relays in the engine bay or is there something i have over looked......

its a one speed radiator fan and has the acc system so think its the high speed relay though not sure looked at the haynes manual and its worthless as usual shows early model wire diagram but not later one.

are they prone for this and is this a common problem any help would be great thanks in advance

:cry:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Turn ACC on at low temperature. Open the hood to see if the AC compressor clutch either is engaged or cycles on and off. And also see if the radiator fan is on. The ACC and ACC radiator fan relay should pull them both on.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
saabstuart said:
hi need help 1995 areo going in for a ecu upgrade and fan not working. car boiled over the other day so checked the cooling fan never came on so gave it a direct live and it works fine and does not boil over.

as its a 1995 it does not have the temp sensor in the radiator to bridge and the gauge on the dash means nothing as it dont really work its controlled by the ecu, do you think its the relays in the engine bay or is there something i have over looked......

its a one speed radiator fan and has the acc system so think its the high speed relay though not sure looked at the haynes manual and its worthless as usual shows early model wire diagram but not later one.

are they prone for this and is this a common problem any help would be great thanks in advance

:cry:
Common failure in your model is the wire from fuse box to the thrmo switch on the radiator. Just run a new wire; any Saab Indy in UK w/ 9k experience should know how to do this easy, as there are many of use that have experienced this failure; the wire corrodes under the radiator somewhere.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,

First I don’t know much about the air con so where is this clutch thing I am looking for is it on the compressor and what am I looking for on it cheers....

And kev not sure I have the thermo switch one this model I have it on my earlier 9000 turbo on the side of the radiator and its easy to bridge but cant see one on the aero though not to sure

thanks guys any help would be great
:confused:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Forget about the AC compressor clutch then. Set ACC to on and low temperature. Watch the radiator fan. It should be working.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You might have the first year of 9k that does not have the rad mounted switch, in which case my advice may not be useful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think my areo is the type without the sensor on the car mate got it working with the direct live and she seems ok but would rather have it working right. was in at local saab dealer and they think it could be a sensor on the cylinder head so will have a look at that

cheers:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you get it fixed

Hi just read your post and it looks like my 96 cse may have the same fault, Did you get a fix ? If so what was it ? Is a Saab only Job £££££££
Cheers jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi mate yes it was the sensor on the side of the head that was broken, had another one hady an a spare head and it worked fine, think there are two types though:D hope that helps

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
there is 2 types it changed some where inbetween 95 and 97 not sure when but the differance is the thread that screws it to the head is larger on the later ones

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for info guys just 2 questions,

Saabstuart did your temp gauge is work ok when your fan stopped working ?

Boxman does the sensor screw completly in to the head or does it leave some of the shaft showing, like a mushroom, if it see what i mean. I removed the sensor when the head was off and was unsure how far in it went

thanks again guys jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not too sure cant really remember but i think the gauge was still working if pushed lol..... on 94-98 the gauge is not the best marker for heat in the engine the ecu controls it, so wont show up the correct temp.....

hope that helps a bit:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts