SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the saga continues! After pulling into my driveway this evening and looking behind my car, I noticed a continuous drip drip trail marking my route, like the bread crumb trail in hansel and gretel.:cheesy: Looking under the car I could see about 7 different spots dripping green fluid....coolant leak. It was easy (actually) to spot the leak under the hood, there's a slit at the bend point in the radiator hose. So, the question: how much coolant does the coolant tank hold and what is the diameter of the black hose that runs into the radiator itself? Not the tube from the tank, the larger hose w/ the 2 metal crimp brackets on the ends. (The joys of buying a car w/out a manual and documentation) Alright, I wrote a book to ask a simple question;) ....Thanks!

- Erik -

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Seriously, your best bet is to get all-new hoses. Go to www.eeuroparts.com and look at the Australian-made Mackay hoses--excellent quality, and 1/2 the price of OEM.

Buy a genuine SAAB thermostat, also; aftermarkets tend to fail quickly:evil:

Examine the rad--they rust out near the bottom, which is hidden by the fans. I'd recommend you bite the bullet and buy a new rad--they're about $130, I think (eeuroparts again). Get a new fan thermoswitch, if it doesn't come with the new rad--these are under $10.

You may want to combine this job with a belt replacement, too. I just did mine because they're 3 years old (I did a writeup on this procedure a few days ago); and my Mackay hoses, which are also 3, will be renewed in 2 years' time.

If you really want to be thorough, replace the water pump also--they're not expensive.

In my own (often bitter) experience, replacing one failed item at a time (on a random schedule) is much more hassle than preventively replacing them all, on your schedule:) .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts