SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking around and have seen a number of Saabs with aftermarket radiators and condensers. My current setup hasn't ever been changed and i am ready for an upgrade. What are your recommendations for aftermarket replacements? And is it an upgrade i can perform myself or will i need to take it to a shop?

·
Registered
994 Posts
as far as the condenser goes, for the hvac system, if it aint broke, don't screw with it. if the a.c. works, leave it alone UNLESS there is a known fault.
you will not have an upgrade by tampering with this.
EDIT: you will require a shop with hvac evacuation and recharge machinery to perform this service. it is a specially sealed system that a shade-tree is not likely equipped for.

for the radiator, this component should not really need to be replaced either unless there is some form of damage, just like the condenser.
if your car maintains a proper gage temperature, and everything is ok, you will not get a real performance gain from replacing this.

that said, if there are damages, I would try eeuroparts.com. they have been pretty good to me.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Radiator is a simple job...first time it shouldn't take you more than 90 minutes. After that, it's one you can do with your eyes closed. After 25ish years, not a bad thing to replace...and at about $125 or so delivered, why not. Nissens are decent enough radiators.

Condenser shouldn't need to be changed unless someone punched a hole in it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Radiator is a simple job...first time it shouldn't take you more than 90 minutes. After that, it's one you can do with your eyes closed. After 25ish years, not a bad thing to replace...and at about $125 or so delivered, why not. Nissens are decent enough radiators.

good fair point. age does wonders on those components.

i do feel my statement does still stand though. he should not expect gains/performance/upgrades from the new radiator.

·
Registered
978 Posts
NOT TRUE! condensers can suffer from corrosion and the fins can become insulated from the tubes resulting in little or no heat transfer. I have some that look near perfect a glance, but on closer inspection there is white powder between the tubes and fins. A/C head pressure go thru the roof and cooling is very poor.
If you add a 134a change over very poor cooling will be the result. All of this with no leaks.
Closely inspect the condenser for a good thermal bond between the tubes and fins, if in doubt replace!
I use generic replacement parallel flow types. The reason is they work much better with 134a then the OEM which was designed for R12. I have the tooling to make hoses so this is easy for me, but likely beyond the ability of the home mechanic.
A/C work is hard to do unless you have access to all the tools. It can be a big pain, if you have to save every hose and fitting. Some of these can be impossible to remove after many years, and you need to decide what to sacrifice. That's where the tooling comes in, you can cut a hose or fitting and make a new hose in miniutes, as opposed to spending hours trying to save a fitting or hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.