SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been brought up before, but i want to hardwire my passport 8500 X50 in my 2003 9-3ss up near my rear view mirror, can somebody tell me how to do this, where i hardwire it, etc. Or lead me to a previous thread

Thanks, Kyle

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i hardwired mine by tapping into (splicing) the cigarette lighter power lead. i put my radar detector right beside the a-pillar and ran the wire down by the fuse box, looped it around the vent tubing underneath the steering wheel (by your knees) and up toward the cigarette lighter from the back side. i spliced the power lead by pulling the ashtray forward and disconnecting the wire. at first i hesitated to use a wire-tap since i normally solder everything, but i eventually had to go back and solder it since it wasn't getting a good connection whenever i opened the ashtray. very easy installation. oh yeah, i bought a hardwire kit from best buy since i had no way of telling the positive/negative of the original plug without cutting it open.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a way to hardwire it up in the overhead lights or something a bit closer, i want the radar next to the rear view mirror ans dont want to run 50ft of wire lol

·
Banned
975 Posts
A while ago someone pulled a VERY nice guide on how to hardwire a radar detector up above on a convertable, not sure if it applies to none convertables though. I just got a radar detector myself so I'm looking for the thread. If i find it ill hook you up.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Here is how I did it:

I went to autozone and bought one of thse "Add a line Fuse connectors". I used the fuse that controls Sig lighter. It is located on the driver side console, by the door, where the fuse pull tool is. Then I ran the line up onto the dash and attached the radar just to the left of the left front speaker. Clean and fast and no splicing.

Here is a picture of that add a line fuse:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580

1 - 7 of 7 Posts