SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just wondering if there was some way to put a radar dectectors lights, and put them in the dashboard. Like cut out a rectangle and fit in the light portion and wire everything back out. If there are any guides or pictures of this, or if its even possible please let me know.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I don't see why not. Just pull out the dash/intrument cluster and find a good place to mount it where it will have enough room to not interfere with anything else. Then you can just run the power to the battery with a fuse in-between the detector and battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,216 Posts
Not sure on Saabs (yet!) but:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/v1/

Thinking about it, wouldn't it fit nicely in the cubby hole either where the ashtray can be (replaced with the cubby version obviously!) or above the stereo (if you have fitted an aftermarket)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StormCrow said:
Not sure on Saabs (yet!) but:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/v1/

Thinking about it, wouldn't it fit nicely in the cubby hole either where the ashtray can be (replaced with the cubby version obviously!) or above the stereo (if you have fitted an aftermarket)?
They are trying to make it illegal to have Radar Detectors in SC, so i want to hide it in the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
The V1 remote display kit can be mounted about anywhere you can imagine, but the closer to the instruments the better. You dont want to be looking down by the shifter to see what your radar detector is telling you. Of course, remote display or not, your V1 still needs to be in your windshield (preferably at the top) to work effectively. With the remote dispay connected, the detector itself wont light up, however.

If you were really skilled with electronics, you could take apart a detector and hide the sensors at the front and rear of your headliner, and then wire the display where ever you like. This of course would be very involved, although I've seen it done and is quite impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
redrum said:
The V1 remote display kit can be mounted about anywhere you can imagine, but the closer to the instruments the better. You dont want to be looking down by the shifter to see what your radar detector is telling you. Of course, remote display or not, your V1 still needs to be in your windshield (preferably at the top) to work effectively. With the remote dispay connected, the detector itself wont light up, however.

If you were really skilled with electronics, you could take apart a detector and hide the sensors at the front and rear of your headliner, and then wire the display where ever you like. This of course would be very involved, although I've seen it done and is quite impressive.
well for my car, i have the radio right under the Windshield, so i was hoping to be able to put the sensor bar on the upper lip of the display, i would just have to run a wire up to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
When I was in highschool, a friend of mine had a Saab 900 with a hidden radar detector as they used to be illegal where I lived. What he did was wire it through an HVAC duct and had an external power switch tied to one of the blanks. That way if he ever got pulled over he would just shut off the radar detector and you would never be able to see it as it is constantly dark in the hvac ducts. It was pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
i'm wondering about having the v1 that high on the windshield. my brother had it mounded above his mirror one time, and he still didn't pick up anything. high up, sure, but wouldn't putting it that high risk obstruction in the back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
saabchilten said:
i'm wondering about having the v1 that high on the windshield. my brother had it mounded above his mirror one time, and he still didn't pick up anything. high up, sure, but wouldn't putting it that high risk obstruction in the back?
Thats odd, V's are supossed to be very good. Some people mount the unit behind the grille and run wires back to the thin display.

I had a passport 8500 X-50 that sat low in the left hand corner of the windshield, I ran a direct line spliced from the cig lighter right out of the fuse box. Then I ran the wire up through a hole next to the front speaker and it looked really clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Thats odd, V's are supossed to be very good. Some people mount the unit behind the grille and run wires back to the thin display.

I had a passport 8500 X-50 that sat low in the left hand corner of the windshield, I ran a direct line spliced from the cig lighter right out of the fuse box. Then I ran the wire up through a hole next to the front speaker and it looked really clean.
The V's are very good. I usually mount mine several inches below the rearview mirror.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
oh they are. we have two. i'm just saying that one of them didn't pick up properly when mounted above the mirror. maybe a lazer was the reason for that ticket rather than standard radar.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top