SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this today, when I shut the engine off, the radiator fan ( I think) was still going, is this normal? I had the A/C off the whole time when I was driving, and it was just a quick road test, 15 min or less.

·
Registered
214 Posts
this is normal especially in the summertime. Even 15 minutes of regular driving can cause this to happen.

when you turn off the engine while the oil is hot there is no longer coolant circulating through the radiator or engine block which causes the temp of both oil and coolant temp to increase. The fan comes on to prevent the coolant temp from getting too hot.

on turbocharged Saabs and volvos the the operating temp of the coolant is quite hot to begin with so the fan coming on after turning the car off is pretty critical to the cooling system

Reactions: Jayplay_21

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Is there a way to be sure, because, I was reading a thread ont he 9-3 forum about this happening to a guy and he found out the hard way, when someone else said it was normal, turned out it was a sticking thermostat I think. Then it causes all kinds of damage.
Just wanna be sure, cause I don't wanna be caught with more headaches down the road!

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is normal procedure.

Mine does the same thing EVERYDAY.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Actually I really think the fan stays on to blow cooling air over the turbo. It isn't related to actual coolant temperature except this is used to trigger the fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine stays on too except...

recently there has been kind of a creaking noise coming from the fans. It comes and goes, even while driving. Any ideas on what that noise could be?
I have a 2000 9-5 2.3t

1 - 6 of 6 Posts