SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every thought about putting universal racing seats in their Saab. I was wondering if it could be done or not?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'll be interested with the answers on this because I'm thinking of doing this myself.

I think you would just unbolt the rails of the Saab seats and fit them to the universal seats. You may have to make up custom brackets to fit the rails.

I now guys have done it. Someone will chime in ;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
AZR racing has racing seats in his. Best bet is to find some manual seat tracks from a base 9-3 or 900. Although some of them have a stupid handle on the side, and it varies with different years. Otherwise buy some generic sliders from the seat company and have tabs welded on to match the factory holes. Only real problem is cars with airbags in the seats (like mine) will light up 2 lights on the dash. You'll get the triangle light and the SRS light. If you can figure out how the car senses the airbags, you *might* be able to create a jumper and fool the car into thinking the side airbags are still present. Otherwise pull both bulbs from the dash. If you're short, keep in mind the seats might make you sit lower. This can be fixed by welding "L" tabs to the sliders, then just account for the height you want the seat at. I'm eventually going to do this when $$ isn't so scarce.

BTW, the full power leather seats in the SE models were 62 pounds for passenger seat and roughly 64 for the drivers. If you stick with really light weight seats and tracks, you can pull an easy 90 pounds from the car.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
the airbag can be fooled with a resistor not sure of the value
If you can produce a link stating how to do this it'd be appreciated. I suppose if I can find the wires that are part of the air bag ON/OFF light in the seat, I can hook up an ohm meter and find the resistance and go to Radio Shack and buy a resistor and see what happens. Would be REALLY nice as I hate seeing the lights on the dash. Guess I'll have something to keep me busy Saturday ;ol;

·
Registered
131 Posts
not sure but do a search and you should find it . think that the value is 3 ohms but cant be certain as it was a while ago. one good thing is that if your car is a t7 and you have the airbag light come on it can be reset by reconnecting the air bag and turning the ignition on and off a few times t5 does not do this and has to be reset with tech 2

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Only way the car could "store" a fault like that once the main battery is disconnected is if there was a small battery back up somewhere (home PC's have them and they store the settings of the BIOS in case of power failures). Any idea where? I have a T5. If the seat wasn't so cumbersome to mess with, I'd stick it back and pull the car's battery to see if the light would go out.

Only reason I asked about where the thread is is because it's not always easy to find obscure threads unless you type the exact words the post creator typed. Nothing worse than spending an hour or 2 sifting through useless threads and posts hoping to find whatever you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
@Martin: Where are you putting in the resistor at and what resistance is needed?

If you're looking for cheap and easy to find hood/bonnet vents, I used some shark gills from a 03-04' Tiburon. When mounted on the hood they look right. Can mount in the front above the turbo or further back in front of the washer nozzles and above the head. Easy to make them functional. Heat just pours out of them when stopped as I can see the heat waves coming from it like a hot road in the distance:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i have racing seats in my saab my sliders are from a ford something or other. you have to adapt it a bit. i used 3inch square tube for passenger mount. leave the lower rail in. the part that bolts to the car. drill holes in the square tube to mount perpendicular to the lower rail. then get 4 weld nuts and drill in the front of the square tube (for the front )and weld the weld nuts inside the tube and repeat the same for the rear drilling in the rear of the tube. same concept for the drivers seat, but i used 1inch tube in the front and 3 inch in the rear to get a comfortable tilt, works out well.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
oh and i dont have any air bags.... so i dont know what to do for the srs light.

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Only way the car could "store" a fault like that once the main battery is disconnected is if there was a small battery back up somewhere (home PC's have them and they store the settings of the BIOS in case of power failures). Any idea where? I have a T5. If the seat wasn't so cumbersome to mess with, I'd stick it back and pull the car's battery to see if the light would go out.
Pontius: Flash memory can have a stored setting with no power supplied: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone got a picture of the car with racing seats in them. And I would like to see some pictures of under the seat to make the rails if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
here is the seats in the car. you will have to wait till morning to get rail pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Do they have Flash Memory?
Just guessing that they do... there doesn't seem to be any way to discharge the memory for the SRS. But, I never waited more than a day or so to find out.

The control module is in the center console, at least in the 9-3. The next time I am at the junkyard I will see if there is one I can open up and peek inside to see if I spot a battery or not.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re

The air bag light on my car just popped on and I dont realy care about the light but does this mean that they [air bag] wont work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
on the ng900 if a fault condition occurs the the light will come on and stay on and has to be reset with tech2. on the 93 (T7) if it comes on. as long as the fault condition is cleared it will go off after about 20 ignition cycles (without a fault)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts