SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What must be done to make these two work together so my air conditioner will work? Any personal comments about the two together is welcomed... Last mechanic put the two together but did not last long..split the hoses. New mechanic is going to look at keeping the two together..how don't know. Any advise or suggestions is welcomed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
DON'T DO IT!
:nono;
There is plenty of information out there on why.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
R12 and R134a cannot/should not be mixed.

If your system takes R12, then have it retrofitted to suit R134a.

There is a gas that can be used in place of R12 without any modifications/retrofitting (i can't remember it's name off hand) but it is slightly corrosive.

·
Registered
978 Posts
R134a is not compatable with R 12, need different oil, don't combine when used in the same system.
Since your hose split, you have no more R12 in the system, so go ahead and convert to 134a.
Remove the compressor and drain the oil out. then re fill with the correct amount of Pag or ester oil. (I am away from my books so don't know the amount off the top of my head)
Replace any defective hose with Barrier hose and bead lonck fittings.
eveacuate the system and refill with the correct amount of 134a.
A system that was designed for R-12 will run higher pressures when 134a is used (hense the bead lock fittings) so if your hoses are in sad shape they will not stand the extra pressure of 134a. The old practice of useing worm drive clamps on the hose will not work for 134a, crimp on fittings are the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts