SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my cars battery died and I was forced to jump start the car. After getting the car started, my HUD stated that there was a failure in both my right and left low beam bulbs. I have replaced the bulbs and checked 2 fuses that my owners manual told me corresponded with the low beams and the are fine as well. My high beams work fine. Any help in this matter will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
E_J_V

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check the bulb connectors and make sure they are all in securely. Also make sure there's no corrosion on the wires. My Linear had some awful corrosion on the wiring for the left low beam.

Is the SID continuing to tell you the dipped beams are failing? If so, I'd suggest a battery disconnect and reset the car (even though you already kind of did that with the battery being dead). Outside of that, remove the bulbs, let it REALLY fail, then replace the bulbs and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I did as you said and I have no change. I was wondering if there were any relays that might pertain to the low beams? Also, what is it that controls them always being on? If it is a switch, maybe that is bad? It has been mentioned to me that I may have damaged the ECM, but I would imagine that more would be going wrong then just my low beams not coming on. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
E_J_V

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am not aware of any relays, exterior lighting is controlled via the BCM(body control module). Per WIS... "BCM sends the bus messages "dipped beam, button active on", which is used by the fuse box in the engine bay. B+ voltage is supplied from fuse box pins 25 and 16 to headlamp pin 3". hope this might help in some way... good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I did as you said and I have no change. I was wondering if there were any relays that might pertain to the low beams? Also, what is it that controls them always being on? If it is a switch, maybe that is bad? It has been mentioned to me that I may have damaged the ECM, but I would imagine that more would be going wrong then just my low beams not coming on. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
E_J_V

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm

All of the fuses in the box seem fine, however I am not sure what it means by headlamp pin 3". Is there a way to test the BCM?

I am not aware of any relays, exterior lighting is controlled via the BCM(body control module). Per WIS... "BCM sends the bus messages "dipped beam, button active on", which is used by the fuse box in the engine bay. B+ voltage is supplied from fuse box pins 25 and 16 to headlamp pin 3". hope this might help in some way... good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh

I was looking up the BCM to see what price range i was looking at and it appears i can pick up a used on for around $80. My question is whether they used the same BCM for convertibles as well as sedans?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
maybe your BCM is ok,

you must go to the dealer for cheaper to open the R and L low been circuit (tech2).

things than happens with ram memories in the BCM, close circuits for security reasons and no longer are functional until tech2 open the circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok

So the dealership may be able to fix this without replacing anything? I had heard that just to get in the shop is was about $100. Just trying to find the cheapest way, i am very short on cash.

maybe your BCM is ok,

you must go to the dealer for cheaper to open the R and L low been circuit (tech2).

things than happens with ram memories in the BCM, close circuits for security reasons and no longer are functional until tech2 open the circuit.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So the dealership may be able to fix this without replacing anything? I had heard that just to get in the shop is was about $100. Just trying to find the cheapest way, i am very short on cash.
I don't think about other way than tech2. you can do nothing only spend time and more money or make a small problem biggest.

last week I have paid 103 euros to open the boot lid/trunk in my opel astra twintop.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
if you switch out your BCM I think you might need TechII which will require a trip to the dealer or indy anyways. Last I went to my dealer for diagnosis they said it would be $100 just for pulling in and using an hour of labor to diagnose. But, in all honesty there are several components that play a role in the system(ignition switch, CIM, BCM, UEC.) It could be possible that something fried during the jump start? Have you tried to disconnect the neg battery cable for 15 mins and reboot the computers? I would start there and see if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had it disconnected for over 15 mins after this happened and it didn't change anything :( I was so hoping this was going to be a simple fix. I'm so confused with how the high beams work but the low beams won't. So that seems to eliminate any power problem, and seeing as the 2 fuses that control the lighting also control high beams that eliminates the fuses. I was trying to find a relay but I don't see one and have been told earlier on there isn't one. I wish I understood what Tech 2 meant, it is confusing me lol. Has anyone had this done lately? Was it expensive? This car is still under a GM warranty (not the greatest i know), does anyone know if this would cover it?

if you switch out your BCM I think you might need TechII which will require a trip to the dealer or indy anyways. Last I went to my dealer for diagnosis they said it would be $100 just for pulling in and using an hour of labor to diagnose. But, in all honesty there are several components that play a role in the system(ignition switch, CIM, BCM, UEC.) It could be possible that something fried during the jump start? Have you tried to disconnect the neg battery cable for 15 mins and reboot the computers? I would start there and see if that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts