SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright everybody, your trtf is flipping out! (that would be me, BTW...)

so tonight i decided to be the pimp daddy and take some girls for a ride in my car. you never know what's gonna come from playing pool... anyway, so the 4 girls and i pile into my car and take off. i'm showing off of course, but waiting until she gets warm before pouring the boost to her. partway through the drive i heard a goofy almost air rushing sound from the left front of the car, sounded like right behind the dash. it was also idling fast. she still ran fine though, so i finished the drive. by the time i got back to the dorms the noise was a bit louder and i couldn't get idle to return to normal. it was dark so i couldn't really see much. there's definitely a fairly loud air rushing sound... it's also very odd that the sound goes away when you give it throttle but at constant or decreasing speed it is there. i'm sorta flippin out cuz it doesn't sound good... tomorrow i'm gonna pop the hood in the light of day and see what's up. any suggestions are appreciated... anyone else ever had this problem?!?!:eek: :(

·
Registered
818 Posts
It sounds like a Vacume hose behind the dash has come loose, you can take off the speaker cover and look for it, shouldent be too big of a problem. Does your boost gauge still work? If not it could have been the vacume hose for that, of it could be one of the vacume hoses for the heater controls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dunno if I'm replying correctly here, but we'll find out.. huh?

That wooshing from behind the dashboard sounds like it could be a heater hose or cracked heater valve to me. I had my heater valve crack a few weeks ago and couldn't get the darn thing out myself because it consisted of taking out the dash etc etc etc ... which I'm not ready for yet.

Any liquid on the carpet near the pedals? And no, Slurpies mixed with Thunderbird that your harem was(were) engulfing doesn't count!

Rich

PS cruisin around tonight listening to ocean rain with the rag down on a nice temperate socal spring... doesn't get better:cool:

atg-music.biz

·
Registered
818 Posts
I dont think it would be a heater valve, because that wouldent increase the cars idling speed, a loose vacume hose would. Anyway hopefully it is because all you have to do is push it back on :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tend to think it would just be a vacuum hose... i found it weird that the noise went away with acceleration. even if the car was in neutral and i revved the engine it went away for the bit of time the engine was gaining revs, and as soon as you close the throttle it comes back... something funky... i'll check it out manana. thanks!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Check the intercooler to throttle body pipe as well. If that has slipped a little way off it will cause high idling and can make a rushing sound as well. Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had this exact thing happen to me yesterday, I don't you if you noticed the boost gauge stops working? It sounds like air is rushing on tickover or deceleration, but once you give it a bit of gas it stops, and the car won't idle properly.

I found it wasn't actually the vacuum hose behind the dash, it was actually one near the inlet manifold had come off, but it was obviously the other end of the pipe that goes to the dash. But I would definately say you've blown off a vacuum line.

·
4,637 Posts
therealturbofan said:
i found it weird that the noise went away with acceleration. even if the car was in neutral and i revved the engine it went away for the bit of time the engine was gaining revs, and as soon as you close the throttle it comes back... something funky... i'll check it out manana. thanks!
Definately a vac hose. Don't forget that these hoses come under boost pressure too so, once you're boosting (or even have the throttle open), there's no air sucking into the hose. Instead, there's air coming out which will be much quieter. Experiment when you find the loose hose, you should be able to feel it blowing once you go on boost...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boost gauge still worked after it started making the noise.

i do know that the noise is not actually coming directly behind the dashboard. at first it actually sounded like an electrical sound right back there from inside the cabin... but as soon as i opened the hood and listened there, it's very obvious that the sound is coming from the engine bay and it sounds very different from outside the car. i'll take a look with light today;)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i had the exact same problem!!!! exactly, but mine got worse before i discovered what was wrong. the vac lines that come out of the air intake on the throttle body side, there are like 3 around here i think, 2 on top and one on the side. anyways i was boosting hard! and ****! HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. low boost, high idle ect. well one of the seals bit the biscuit! as in it just blew up, all the oil in the intake caused it to break down, 2 weeks later the other one did it under the same conditions, replaced both (overcharged at mechanic for parts $10) brob worth about 25 cents. 1 month later, no issues:cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
started her up today as soon as i got back from classes and i heard the whooshing sound just as before. i poked around under the hood and found the spot where the hose popped off. the hose was right next to where it popped off, so i just slid it back on there tight and voila, all gone. now i just gotta get those fans working again...

thanks guys! :cheesy:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
towards the back of the intake manifold there's a little plastic thing that sticks out and like 2 or 3 vacuum hoses attach to it. one of those popped off.it was the top one.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm going to take a guess here, and say that the vacuum hose which popped off was the one for the HVAC controls. This hose is clipped to the panel just above the firewall, and often has too little slack. When you hit the gas pedal, the engine shifts in its mountings and yanks the hose off its fitting. Happened to our 1990 900S a while back ;oops:

The fix is to add a little more hose--just splice it to the existing one with a connector :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, that wasn't the problem at all. the hose was a little loose on the fitting, so it popped off. there was plenty of slack in the hose itself. i have no idea what the hose went to, but everything inside the car seemed to still work fine, it just idled quick. really this thread was pretty pointless, i should have just waited until i could look at it with some light before posting anything... but i was a little tripped out and had to say something. but yeah, i just slipped the hose back on there for now. tomorrow i'm going to put a zip-tie around it nice and tight so it won't come off anymore.

thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I reckon I used to blow a hose off or have a vacuum leak of some sort about once a month. Since changing to silicone hoses I've not had one. Worth doing if you are running more than standard levels of boost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts