SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quirky "NXT" button

For a few months now, the NXT button on my steering wheel has been jogging through my presets kind of funny. About 90% of the time, it will jog through normally, going from 1 to 2, and so on, up to #12. And when it's on #12 and I press NXT again, it will jump back to the beginning of my presets and go back to #1. But other times, when I'm tuned on any preset from #2-11, I'll press NXT and it will automatically jump back to preset #1! There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it happens, sometimes it happens when I listen to something for 10 minutes, sometimes just 10 seconds.

It's not really that big of a deal, but I'll admit it is a little annoying. If I'm on station #4 and I want to hear #5, it'll automatically jump back to #1 and I'll tthink, "hey didn't I just hear this like 1 minute ago?" Then I have to manually press the little dialpad with my fingers, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the NXT button in the first place.

Does this happen to anyone else or is my radio just bananas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think I have read that quite a few other people have the same problem. I understand you, it's really not that big of an issue, but it is annoying. I had my dealer look at it twice, but they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. If they spent more than five minutes on it, they would readily see the problem.

My skipping is slightly different. Presets 1-3 will frequently jump back to 1 (or stay on preset one if already on it.) However, my 4-6 presets always work correctly. Strange? I have the ES-1 7/150 system, so there are only 6 presets.

One way to be clued in on if the radio will go to the next preset is to see if the currently selected preset number is listed in the SID. If not, it will revert back to preset 1. That way I know if I need to walk my fingers away from the steering wheel or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
same thing has been happening with my 03 radio. I've figured that if i use the nxt button to scan through the radio presets, the number preset stays on for eight seconds and shuts off, so if i hit the nxt button again, it starts over to number 1. But, if i use the keypad, the number preset doesn't shut off so if you use the nxt button, it stays in order. 1...2...3...4...etc. But, it doesn't always happen that way i can't figure it out! It doesn't really bother me, but i thought someone said that it's a known software problem and they (meaning saab) was working on the problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I guess that's the first complaint/annoyance I have about the car so far. Dealer said it's a known issue and there's no fix for it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing was happening to me (2003 ARC), although I "fixed" it.

In my case, one of the local radio stations started to transmit their station name via RDS, but only the frequency was in the preset list, not the station name.

It was in preset position 7, and if I hit NXT from preset 6 to 7, the SID would show the frequency for about a second and then the station name that was being transmitted via RDS. If I then hit NXT to go to preset 8 it would go back to preset 1.

What I did to "fix" it was I went to preset 7 and once the station name came up, I held the "7" button for over a second so that the station name then appeared in the preset list.

Since then I have not had a problem. Hitting next from preset 7 always goes to preset 8 and so on.

May not be the same situation in your case but it fixed mine.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Used to happen to me, but as others have said I just reprogrammed the stations and it fixed it. For some reason if your station #1 is getting the song info on the sid once the song changes it would always jump back to 1 no matter where you were on you "next" cycle. But reprogramming it fixed it....

I can't tell you how permanent it is, I figure that it could get messed up again if a new station in the list starts sending RDS.....I stopped listening to the radio for the most part once I got my ipod.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
As Tech II explained, reprogram your radio station once the RDS information begins scrolling across the SID.

Also, if a radio station ever changes hands and broadcasts new RDS information, you'll have to repeat this reprogramming step. Case in point, a radio station in Southern California used to broadcast "ARROW 93 -->" or something like that .. the station has since been aquired by "JACK FM". It should be noted that the "ARROW" station did not scroll song information, while the "JACK FM" does scroll song information. Apparently the memory function in the car is sensitive to not only whether or not RDS is present, but what mode RDS is transmitting in (two that I know of, according to my other car's owners manual...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts