SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking ro get a new downpipe and exhaust, is there any known quiet upgrades with a cat? maybe i should try making one with pipe bender?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I dont know what your spending limit is, but you could get the JT 2 muffler system with catted downpipe from Genuinesaab.com. Or you could make a custom exhaust using magnaflow or borla products. I work at a metals and distrubution plant trust me 2.5" pipe is plenty big for these cars.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have the GS downpipe (3") and BSR Catback (2.5") and my car is not obnoxious at all. In fact, I wish it was louder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an 2007 SS 2.0T. If I was thinking of going only 2.5" catback, what performance gains would I get with that (versus a bigger downpipe and a catback)?

Also where is the cheapest catback available? GeniuneSaab seems to carry catbacks for only 2003-2006

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 2007 SS 2.0T. If I was thinking of going only 2.5" catback, what performance gains would I get with that (versus a bigger downpipe and a catback)?

Also where is the cheapest catback available? GeniuneSaab seems to carry catbacks for only 2003-2006
You'll basically just get quicker throttle response. My stock setup evidently had some buildup, so ive noticed a small difference. You typically won't gain anything on our cars with only a catback.

I had mine custom made at a local shop for $200. 2.5" from the stock flex pipe back, so i can install my downpipe easier ;ol; resonator delete and a magnaflow 11225 muffler. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Catted with 2 mufflers or one?
It's catted with a 200cel race cat, then has a resonator and then muffler. It's (I believe) the only single pipe BSR exhaust available for our cars. Some of the reviews from GS show that people removed the resonator without any negative effects, but I really don't want to take the risk and end up getting drone.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What about if you're planning on getting tuned in the future? Does 2.5 vs 3.0 make a large enough difference on these motors?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Will I still get quicker throttle response by removing the stock muffler and replacing it with a Borla turbo muffler and leaving everything else stock (as opposed to creating a full custom catback)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about if you're planning on getting tuned in the future? Does 2.5 vs 3.0 make a large enough difference on these motors?
For our cars, theres really no difference.

Also, just replacing th stock muffler won't really do anything unless you have build up like I did. Just my $.02

·
Registered
700 Posts

I've got the same car as you and I went with. 2.5" dual cutback from Maptun. Talk to Fredrik over at Maptun and he will hook you up. I got a great deal on mine (800$ for the exhaust and only 250$ for shipping that bad boy to the US)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the same car as you and I went with. 2.5" dual cutback from Maptun. Talk to Fredrik over at Maptun and he will hook you up. I got a great deal on mine (800$ for the exhaust and only 250$ for shipping that bad boy to the US)
Oh yeah? Big T or little t?

How's it sound/perform? And are you planning on getting a downpipe in the future as well?

Edit: Where is Maptun? I'm in Canada

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh yeah? Big T or little t?

How's it sound/perform? And are you planning on getting a downpipe in the future as well?

Edit: Where is Maptun? I'm in Canada

Sounds good. Its a big T. It's definitely not obnoxissouly loud, almost like a low grumble but in high revs will definitely turn heads. I even got 1mpg better fuel economy. I am planning on upgrading to a new DP once I lower the car this summer and get a stage 2 tune.

Maptun is in Örebro, Sweden. I was actually there today! (visiting Sweden from the US). IMO, they have arguably the best and most expansive collection of performance parts for Saab (other than Hirsch) and while they may be expensive, Fredrik has always gotten me great deals.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You should've taken orders!!! ha I will take one FMIC piping kit, one TD04HL-19T, and if you can sneak it out of the country grab that 400+ hp 9-3SS they've got... ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
You should've taken orders!!! ha I will take one FMIC piping kit, one TD04HL-19T, and if you can sneak it out of the country grab that 400+ hp 9-3SS they've got... ;)

Haha wish I could have. Their store doesn't have that many products to purchase off the shelf... In fact I only bought a hat!

I also visited the SAAB factory today and trollhättan and at their local dealer/parts depot, ANA Trolhattan they were selling the 18 inch independence edition 9-3 wheels for 70% off!!! I almost splurged on them :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
they were selling the 18 inch independence edition 9-3 wheels for 70% off!!! I almost splurged on them :)
!!!!!! how could you not buy those. The resale alone would have been worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts