SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an automatic 06' 9-3 Aero with the "paddle shifter." I have used it a couple of times and I have to say that it sucks. When I shift on the steering wheel the revs keep going for almost 800rpm before shifting to the next gear. Is there anything to make it a bit more crisp and quicker to shift to the next gear. With the way it is the automatic setting is way more effiecient.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i have the tiptronic shifting or whatever saab calls it in my '04 and it is very slow. It doesnt respond how you think it should.
Id be curious as to what people have to say aslo
sorry im no help

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's cool!

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks this. I am coming from a manual 350z so it is quite a difference about everything about everything.

I haven't really tried to shift with the "stick" in manual so maybe that would make a difference.

·
Registered
372 Posts
In the Corvette, and other GM cars you can "tune" the 6 spd auto ecu separately. Don't think the A-W in the Saab has that capability.

·
Registered
392 Posts
No question the Manual mode shifting is very slow. I find that I have to anticipate several hundred rpm when shifting manually.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
i want ferrari speed with my shifts.

someone try to figure out how to make them quicker.....please.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
just need a tuner to step up and tune the tcm as well.
vw/audi have software for there slushbox's

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree!

Yeah you basically have to shift at like 6000 rpm for the thing to shift at 6800 rpm. I am really disappointed in this aspect of the car. Then again I didn't get the car for the performance...I got it for the comfort.

Just wish there was a reflash or something for this.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
This is to preserve and lengthen the life of the transmission I'm sure, it's all programming. And of course it is not a doulble clutch auto. I look forward to seeing how the 9-5 2.8T H.O. auto shifts, hopefully fast.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The response time is not that great when using the paddles and the shifts aren't that crisp.
Driving on the track you get used it and just shift a half second or so sooner.

However come ride in my car now as something is acting up where my 3/4-full throttle shifts are "slamming" and quite quick. I'd guess my performance is better however I can't imagine the tranny (or other thinks in the drivetrain) lasting too long at this rate. I have to get it checked out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My shifts seem to be almost instaneous in the "manual" mode. FYI, I can drive a stick, so I know what that feels like in comparison... ;)

The tranny was replaced in August 2007 because of damage done by the known coolant leak in te 2003s. Maybe I got lucky with the new tranny? Who knows...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
easy solution, man-up, get rid of that horrible AT, and get a manual:cheesy:

seriously though, i had an auto Aero as a loaner for a few days. the paddles are in a poor location, and it did feel like it took ages to shift. love my 6spd manual!

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
some of us get auto's because we live in stop and go traffic. I literally get no better then 18-20mpg... thats how ****ty the traffic is here.

Also its easier for the lady to drive it, i dont have to worry about her messing crap up

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey guys I have an automatic 06' 9-3 Aero with the "paddle shifter." I have used it a couple of times and I have to say that it sucks. When I shift on the steering wheel the revs keep going for almost 800rpm before shifting to the next gear. Is there anything to make it a bit more crisp and quicker to shift to the next gear. With the way it is the automatic setting is way more effiecient.
I agree with everyone else here when I say that you just kind of get used to it. I don't have the paddles in mine, but I use the stick to shift it. Actually, I drive it in manual mode a majority of the time and I've gotten used to the delay. At least there's a rev limiter so if you do hit the shift a little too late, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree, it sucks...

My shift from 1st to 2nd is really fast, but the shift from 2nd to 3rd is really slow. I've gotten used to it and am pretty good at timing my shifts to get the max speed out of my car. Just takes some time and experimentation.

The only reason I have an AT is because I bought my car used with 3k miles when it first came out in '04 and it saved me near $8k. I also thought the idea of paddle shifters were cool since Ferrari used it.:nono;

I will NEVER buy an AT/Sentronic/Tiptronic in a sportscar again.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Calling our car a "sportscar" is a HUGE stretch... ;)

When I think sports car, I think, at the very least, BMW M3/M5/M6.

Sport/luxury sedan is much more fitting decription, lol. Only problem is, our cars lack in luxury when you're talking about the quality of the interior. We do have quality "features" though. :)

I agree, it sucks...

My shift from 1st to 2nd is really fast, but the shift from 2nd to 3rd is really slow. I've gotten used to it and am pretty good at timing my shifts to get the max speed out of my car. Just takes some time and experimentation.

The only reason I have an AT is because I bought my car used with 3k miles when it first came out in '04 and it saved me near $8k. I also thought the idea of paddle shifters were cool since Ferrari used it.:nono;

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree, it sucks...

Funny because in my 5sp manual 1st to 2nd is really sluggish and the rest of the gears are pretty crisp....

My wife's B7 is auto and it sucks

·
Registered
162 Posts
The manual shifting works well enough from the gear shift selector but from the paddles it is pointless. But then again, with my BSR it made manual shifting pointless too! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is to preserve and lengthen the life of the transmission I'm sure, it's all programming. And of course it is not a doulble clutch auto. I look forward to seeing how the 9-5 2.8T H.O. auto shifts, hopefully fast.
Actually, quicker, firmer shifts usually use less clutch than a sloppy shift, so it will be the opposite. A quicker, firmer shift will make the clutches last longer, provided the pressure behind the shift is not too radical.

Factories have always been worried about a hard shifting trans because alot of people view this as less comfortable and might see it as a problem. However, us in the performance hobby always want a firmer shift. We used to be able to take out the valve bodies and drill a few holes, remove a few ball bearings, change fluid types and "boddabing", firmer shifts. The shift kit was born.

Nowadays, that should actually be easier because the transmissions shifts are all hydraulic and controlled by a computer. A simple hack into the trans computer will yeild higher shift pressures resulting in quicker shifts.

Saab? Might be another story. If the trans is GM, there is a way to do this. We need some GM guru to weigh in and find out what trans we have and what software we have so we can get this figured out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.