SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am putting in a new turbo Wednesday, when i drive the car should i not really open the car up after a certain mileage? to break the turbo in. i heard something like after 1,000 miles then you can really engage the turbo off the line hard. what do you experts say? haha thanks im sure my posts are annoying but im brand new to the saab culture (and loving it btw :D)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
There is nothing in a turbocharger that needs breaking in. The engine, yes. Turbo, no.

Back in the days before water cooled turbos were available in Saabs (before around 1985), there was a warm-up/cool-down procedure to follow, but nothing since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just remember to "prime" the turbo before starting the car! A good way to do it is to pull the DI and pull the fuse for the fuel pump to make sure the engine can't fire. Then crank the engine over a bunch of times (I like 5-7) in short intervals (5ish seconds, so you don't fry your starter). This will build up oil pressure and get oil to the bearings in the turbo without the engine starting and spooling the turbo with dry bearings. Starting the car without oil in the turbo can cook the bearings instantly or at least lead to a much shorter life.

After that, let her rip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts