1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is a better buy?:

1998 900 SE, manual, all options, 5-door, 100k miles, $4k

or

2001 93 SE, manual, all options, 3-door, 79k miles, $7k

or

2000 93 Viggen, manual, all options, 5-door, 93k miles, $8k

I think the 3-door SE's only had the LPT power output vs. the 5-door with the LPT and HPT options. (excluding the Viggen)

Any important differences in design/reliability between the 900 and 93 cars?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The new generation 900 and the old generation 9-3 are ,IMO ,the same in design and reliability.. ....both are hatchbacks.....and better than the newer 9-3...

An improvement was the hydraulic clutch - the cable should never have been used.

Do you know the previous owners ?
And do you have the repair history ?
And the report from the comprehensive inspection ?

I guess the Viggen is the one, if you have the extra money...

·
Registered
215 Posts
baco99 said:
Which is a better buy?:

2001 93 SE, manual, all options, 3-door, 79k miles, $7k

Thanks all!
I'm pretty sure in the USA, from 1999-2002, the 3-door was only offered in S or Viggen trim levels, not SE. :suprised; Have you seen the car?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
David Wishart said:
I'm pretty sure in the USA, from 1999-2002, the 3-door was only offered in S or Viggen trim levels, not SE. :suprised; Have you seen the car?
That's not true :nono; The S are the ones that disappeared from the 9-3 lineup not the SE.

I would go with the car that has a full service history ;) And make sure the 100K mile service was done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it best, all things being equal, to go newer with lowest mileage. Unless of course you want the Viggen power and stigma. The 3-door models are kinda hard to find too and much more unique. The 9-3 came out in 1999. Reliabilty, as someone mentioned, is probably a wash.

With any Saab, having the service records is an absolute must and it is worth paying a lot more for a car with a known history. Consider having an independent mechanic go through the car--it's worth an hour of labor. Check for leaks especially. A $7K car can really be a $10K wolf in sheeps clothing if in need of extensive repair or if scheduled service was absent. If you are a shadetree mechanic and like doing your own work then I guess this becomes less of a factor.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found another Viggen. 2000 with 78k miles. Has BBS multi-spoke wheels as opposed to the Viggen 5-spoke. Looks to be in excellent shape. $9k. It's black.

Now to sell this MazdaSpeed....

·
Registered
215 Posts
hkayssi said:
That's not true :nono; The S are the ones that disappeared from the 9-3 lineup not the SE.
I knew the S level was dropped in 2002, but when I purchased my car new (USA) in 2000 it was made clear to me (website and dealer inquiry) that if I wanted an SE, I had to buy a 5-door. Perhaps California didn't get any 3-door SE cars.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from what I gather online, the 3-door was available in SE "trim" (wood dash, leather seats,etc) but with only the LPT as an engine choice unless you went Viggen.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks like i may be working out a deal for this one, if the mechanical systems check out:

2000 Viggen, manual, Charcoal seat inserts, ASA aftermarket wheels (OEM wheels are not included), interior has a dark wood dash kit through the entire cabin that I'd probably remove. 76k miles for $10k.

I think I might offer my MX5 in return for the Viggen and $10k in cash.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
baco99 said:
looks like i may be working out a deal for this one, if the mechanical systems check out:

2000 Viggen, manual, Charcoal seat inserts, ASA aftermarket wheels (OEM wheels are not included), interior has a dark wood dash kit through the entire cabin that I'd probably remove. 76k miles for $10k.

I think I might offer my MX5 in return for the Viggen and $10k in cash.
a 2000 Viggen is worth about that much without a trade :nono; Shop around more

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
according to NADA the Viggen is worth about $9k, my car is worth about $19k, so I think the Viggen & $10k cash is a fair deal.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
baco99 said:
according to NADA the Viggen is worth about $9k, my car is worth about $19k, so I think the Viggen & $10k cash is a fair deal.
LOL... I think hkayssi misunderstood. It sounded like you were going to PAY them $10k + your car. I thought the same thing.

It's a pretty car. If you can get it plus $10k, that's a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah. i'd basically be asking them to buy my car, then with the proceeds I buy theirs. I owe about $5k on the MSM, so I'd net $5k in the deal.

Here's a description of my car:

http://web.mac.com/baco99/iWeb/Cars/

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
LOL... I think hkayssi misunderstood. It sounded like you were going to PAY them $10k + your car. I thought the same thing.

It's a pretty car. If you can get it plus $10k, that's a no brainer.
lol, that's exactly what i thought.

OK, that sounds fair. if you can get that deal go for it. this is the top of the line in the 9-3

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the 98 SE is gone.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
;oops: Too bad. Wish I had another. Although, my luck I'd wreck it just as I began to sink money into performance, just as I did with my 97 SE....:confused:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a 2002 SE 5-door manual, Silver on Charcoal, 77k miles, Acura dealer asking $10,900. NADA says it's worth $8,600. So, if things fall through with the Viggen, I may go there. Looks mint.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts