SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am looking into purchasing a Saab 9-3 Vector. Black on the outside grey on the inside (only thing I don't like..I'd prefer the white..) anyway, the car has 40,000 miles on it and I am paying $15,000. Is that a good deal? Any specifics I should check on these Saabs before I make the deal? Thanks.

PS. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey! I'm new to this forum as well and I just bought a 2003 Laser Red ARC w/25k miles for 13,900 but that was before tax/title/tags...

What year is the Vector? How's the vehicle history and # of owners?

Are you buying from a dealer or Private Seller??

·
Registered
85 Posts
CallipNCSUsaab said:
vector is a 2003 version of the 2004 aero... but it has the bells and whistles GM took away in 2004.
So Vector is an UPGRADED version of the 2.0T Aero??

What bells and whistles did they remove??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a one owner car, he bought it new and he actually maintainted it at the dealership always. He went to the dealership 31 times since he bought it. They changed a lot of buttons..dash, and all kinds of stuff on the car. My freinds works at the dealership where this guy bought the car and did all this. The interior looks really nice and so does the exterior, guy took really nice car of the car.

Is it worth the $15,000?

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my opinion.. I think it's a pretty good deal! Are you buying it out-right or would you be financing? My car was 13,900 as the sale price but after the interest from the financing, the taxes, title, tags, another warranty... it all added up close to 19k but no regrets here!

It also depends what you were/are in the market for... you shouldn't buy the car just because it's a good deal... because with the industry the way it's been lately... good deals are a dime a dozen.

Have you been able to test drive it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i am looking for a saab 9-3 either aero or vector. the only thing i dont like about this car is the interior color, but because its a good deal i'll have to overlook that. im buying it in cash from a private seller, so thats my total cost. i test drove it and it was okay, i didnt really take a close look at it, but i'll be doing that this weekend. i just want to know if the price im paying is good. its been garaged both at his home and work, so the paint is in excellent condition. any way i can check if the guy was hard on it? beating it up and stuff? also, is there a common problem on these of which i should be aware or check for something? thanks guys

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
krock1030 said:
So Vector is an UPGRADED version of the 2.0T Aero??
I wouldn't go that far.

There is a list in the FAQ of some things that were decontented for 2004, things like floor mat pegs and rear A/C vents. I don't think much changed with the motor except deleting the SAI system. That's an emissions sub-system that was probably unnecessary. You should inspect the SAI check valve for exhaust leak on a 2003. This is a wear-and-tear item that has been failing on higher mileage 2003's. Often you don't know the valve has failed until the SAI pump is ruined. Much more expensive (and difficult) to replace the pump and valve than the valve alone.

You should probably get a Saab dealer to give you whatever warranty service record they have. There were a few minor recalls. Biggest problem to date with these cars is probably the issue of coolant mixing with auto transmission fluid causing tranny failure. Obviously only applies to automatics. You can read the "laundry list" of less significant problems in other threads here. Can't really predict if you will get any of these. Most of us original 2003 owners have had a handful of minor/cosemetic issues.

If the 2003 still has its original battery it should be replaced regardless of vehicle mileage. These Saab batteries have been lasting an average of 3 years, and 4 is pushing it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
losmi8 said:
well i am looking for a saab 9-3 either aero or vector. the only thing i dont like about this car is the interior color, but because its a good deal i'll have to overlook that. im buying it in cash from a private seller, so thats my total cost. i test drove it and it was okay, i didnt really take a close look at it, but i'll be doing that this weekend. i just want to know if the price im paying is good. its been garaged both at his home and work, so the paint is in excellent condition. any way i can check if the guy was hard on it? beating it up and stuff? also, is there a common problem on these of which i should be aware or check for something? thanks guys
If that's the price that you're paying out-right, I def. think that's a good price!

Since I'm new to this car myself, I can't say much about common problems to my knowledge but there are STICKY threads that explain pretty much EVERYTHING...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts