SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i need to put in a optic loop for my 2006 Aero radio head unit to add an aftermarket one. My question is if I keep the HU in there and install an aftermarket unit can I run the speaker-out through the stock amps, or will optically bypassing the HU stop them from operating.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So will need ot tap into the wires out fo the amps to power speakers then, good to know. thanks

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I have been wondering if one could use one of the Intel-based Joying head units with a USB->toslink adapter to run the factory optical amp.....

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere (looked at so many places i cant remember) that the current head unit has Analog outs for speakers. He left the head unit in looped it, and connected to power, ran new head unit out to the analogs and voila, speakers worked., I am not sure he had amps tho, may have been a basic unit. I can't recall.

I am not sure that the amps were working or just bypassed without the optical link, but I figured I try and see what happens before i make my move.

Is the audio through the optical on the units ?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Control panel? You mean the head unit? Not seeing any anti-theft on the pin outs.. Confusing me now

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see post #6,anti theft I believe is tied into the O Bus etc
Not my question.

I will keep the HU, but drive speakers by the pre-amp outputs of the new HU into the cable wired to the from pin-outs in the cable attached to the factory hu.

My question is, Are the Amps passive ( take analog pre-amp signals ) or is the audio through the optic cable. I think the CONTROL is through the HU Optical cable. if the HU stays powered on the Amps will be powered?. What I do not know is if the volume is controlled by the stock HU by variable control of the AMP through the optical cable or if pre-amp signal going though ( as long as amps are powered) be passed through amplified and controlled by the new headunit (though pre-amp output of the new HU)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts