SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm gonna be swapping an axle this weekend, and I want to do ball joints at the same time, so I'm ordering those too. I've heard I might as well do tie rod ends while I'm in there - I need to put the order in today to get them tomorrow, would they generally get really worn (to warrant replacement) after 170k? Ie, is it a safe bet to just order them because they are surely worn to all hell, or should I just wait and see and do them another time?

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
If your tie rod ends and ball joint seals aren't cracked and move freely(well, mostly freely anyway....) then you may not need to replace them.

my 2¢

-Dan

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I take a cautious approach with front end components - I'd do the tie rod ends as well as the ball joints - they're critical for the safety of the vehicle, they're on the receiving end of some pretty violent loads and, if they fail one wheel won't point the same direction as the other - which is a very bad thing.

To my mind, doing everything but the tie rod ends would be like taking a shower and putting a clean suit on, over dirty knickers ....

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha point taken, I'll order fresh jobs all around then, using only the cheapest of components, of course! :lol:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think I'll be doing shocks sometime in the next 4 months, might do that then

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Have you got a ball joint separator? You'll need it for the tracking rod ends aswell, probably some heat too.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, just a hammer ;) My uncle gave me the low down on how to get them off easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts