SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats "quick question about replacement... not quick replacement of gearbox :roll:

ive (finally) got to the stage where everything back together, all new clutch components etc.... but i am stuck on one cruicial issue

the box is in gear, source it came from left it so, but i have no idea what that gear is

how do i work out what gear its in, so that i can hook up the gear linkage properly?

ta chaps
G

·
Registered
375 Posts
Morning G, trial fit the linkage and stir the stick to FEEL what gear its in, or forward and return movement of the selector rod will find you inbetween gears (without connecting linkage) do you have a bleed kit????

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, got an EZBleed steve.....

i know i could do it as a process of elimination, but took me an hour to get theclamp done up on wednesday (day off, wahoo), i just dont fancy it taking a whole load more

there was a little "how to" in a post a while ago, but i'll be jiggered if i can find it when i need it :cry:

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?

need to get this thing boxed off in the next hour or so, otherwise i will be screwed for transport for another week!!!

its really quite important.... the linkage is the last thing to connect afetr a full gearbox swap

G

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think if you turn the shaft(that goes into the trans) to the left and push forward you are in reverse. You will feel tension from the spring, that will help you know you are going in the right direction. Now, pull the shaft into neutral, turn it a little to the right and pull it into 3rd gear. You will need to connect the shifter rod to the trans shaft. With the clamp loose, put the gear stick into 3rd. Do the procedure to line up the shafts by lining up the 2 holes. Put a drill bit or phillips screwdriver into the holes to keep them in place. Then tighten the clamp that holds the shafts together. Let me know how it goes. I'll stick with you til you're done if it will help.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
drg23 said:
anyone?

need to get this thing boxed off in the next hour or so, otherwise i will be screwed for transport for another week!!!

its really quite important.... the linkage is the last thing to connect afetr a full gearbox swap

G
have you read the townsend links in the thread i linked to? It is quite obvious from all the stuff he has on there. I worked it out from that!

It gives an exact guide on how to connect the gear stick to the gearbox selector and get all the gears properly. Which is what you want isnt it?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THE ANORAK said:
Where is Rudearella??
SORNed :cry:
they both ran out of tax, and Rubes was only ever a temporary measure to get me about and to sell on to a good home - so the idea is now to get Saabarella flying again and Rubarella to be sold

Cheers chaps :cool:

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its done... i think.....

nope, the interior was different... centre console had to come out to get access to the holes

i can get all gears, but first is a bit iffy, hopefully its down to there being no oil in the box (note to self, fill with g'box oil BEFORE taking her out for a spin :roll: )

off to a family anniversery now, but hopefully, caring the turbo pipes and some fluids... she's finished (PHEW)

thanks forthe pointers dudes
G

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Why did you change the box anyway? I don't remember you blow one?

You may need to adjust the gear linkage in first if its iffy, I doubt its about the no oil.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Why did you change the box anyway? I don't remember you blow one?

You may need to adjust the gear linkage if first is iffy, I doubt its about the no oil.
You haven't been religiously reading the project cars forum then! The box failed on him a little while ago, I think it was related to doing donuts in reverse ( or something :cheesy:).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts