SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so i just bought the 3" pvc. in the directions it says use black rtv to mount it to the box. what else can i use because i cant seem to find black rtv anywhere? ALSO, what have people used on the ends of their intake to make it trumpeted (bad word i suppose, but you know what i mean. kind of bell shaped) at the end? could i just get one of those 3"-4" rubber adapters or even the pvc adapter and stick it on the end and smooth it out? just wanted some quick opinions so i can do this tonight!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I swore NAPA had rtv silicone last time I checked. Hmmmm. Is that where you looked? Basically you need something that will seal and take the high engine temps. If something else meets those criteria, I guess it should work.

A lot of people use the 3 to 4 inch adaptor you spoke up.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
What I did to get it to stay in the intake box was used a grinder to make the end real skinny and shoved it about 1.5" then took some silicone and sealed the inside and outside. This has worked for me for over 6 months. As for flaring the end which you should do otherwise dont do the mod, is take a heat gun or a little propaine torche and heat the end and slowly go around pulling the end out with pliars and keeping it there till it starts to harden again. Once it holds it posistion, move on. Then you will have the flare. I had the extra thick PVC hanging around my house so I used that so the grinding might not be necessary. But in the picture I grinded the side that in the box the same as how the flare end is.

Edit: The silicone I used was Silicone II found at HomeDepot. Its made to include plastics.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALSO another dumb question. when recharging my K&N, which side of the pleats do i oil? the side that is facing up when i take off the cover in the engine bay or the side that I can't see when looking at it with the cover off in the engine?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I think its the top side so stuff won't drip off into the intake tube.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stromer said:
I think its the top side so stuff won't drip off into the intake tube.
ya but the oil is to stop dust and such, so would you think it would go on the bottom to protect against stuff getting sucked in from the pipe im modding?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
woops, obviously I have no K&n. Its all taliaferro intake for me :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
oops i may have also confused what you mean, you want to apply the oil to the side of the filter that faces the outside of the system.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
In the picture I posted, you will want to oil the side you cant see.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
a-ha! so I was right! :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well I meant the outside of the system as well, so the oil doesn't get sucked down into the turbo intake pipe.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I oil both sides. There's...um...already oil in the intake. Both from the turbo (remember your turbo silencer) and from the PCV recirculating it right next to the throttle body. ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
to get a good flare...put the tip that you want to flare in bioling water, till it's relativlypliable, then jam it on a wine bottle and work it towards the thickest part of the wine bottle then let it cool......

If you want the spool up noise and the blow off niose, then go with a cone intake...i think hearing those sounds outweigh the "oil plague" that seems to bother alot of people.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cpenning623 said:
to get a good flare...put the tip that you want to flare in bioling water, till it's relativlypliable, then jam it on a wine bottle and work it towards the thickest part of the wine bottle then let it cool......

If you want the spool up noise and the blow off niose, then go with a cone intake...i think hearing those sounds outweigh the "oil plague" that seems to bother alot of people.
for me its just $5 vs $100

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Here's my flared end. It is a 3" to 4" reducer cut off and then sanded to create a smooth flare.

I also used a piece of vacuum tubing around the hole that I cut into the air box to create a very snug/sealed fit to the tube. It also makes for less use of any sealant needed.

You can sort of see the tubing in this picture where the tube meets the airbox. This is before I cut off the extra on the reducer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that looks pretty good. how far into the actual airbox does it go? it looks like it slopes down, do ij ust line it up correcly before i seal it?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It goes about 3-4" inside the box. Just enough to get it anchored to the box inside with some sealant. You will have to cut some of the ridges out to fit the tube inside the box. Just a few cut through. It does angle down a bit more than stock but the larger tube requires a slight angle to fit. No worries as it is g in the same place as the stock one near the headlight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts