SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any 16 Valve 900 turbo engine can be made as powerful as the SPG 2.0 for nearly free with nothing more than a APC modification?

That IS all that the SPG engine has over a regualr Turbo 16...right?

It's just something I need to get strait in my mind.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Considering in USA you never had a Low Pressure Turbo (without an APC and Intercooler) then yeah, no problemo!

And of course you'd still have to stick those silly looking pieces of plastic to the under sides of your car to make it an SPG... ;)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
That's all it is. You can tweak a black box APC to outperform a red box one easily enough.

There's some LPT's that would blow away an SPG as well ;)

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
difference

Has'nt the aero/spg got a lower chassis and a slightly different compression ratio aswell? Maybe a upgraded watese gate actuator?

When i has my T8 & a T16S lined up side by side (both 1985)the T16s looked lower but i could'nt tell how, i'm sure the springs were reletively similar/same blue ones but it had a slightly lower ride height.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Jezzadee said:
That's all it is. You can tweak a black box APC to outperform a red box one easily enough.

There's some LPT's that would blow away an SPG as well ;)
we are not talking about X-LPT's here....
btw how much power is your X at?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
aero/normal springs

I'm sure i had both sets of springs side by side and they were the same fre length, both blue.

I saw that in Bentely, i was going to put the springs off the aero on my T8 until i discovered that they were the same length.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't know about Euro cars, but all U.S. b202t cars, SPG or not, used the same 21 lb/hr injectors (7487010).

The 90 and 91 SPGs had a 2.8 bar FPR; they also had a different vacuum advance/retard capsule, which is supposedly the same as the LPT capsule. The retard curve is more linear than earlier cars. Presumably, the 2.8 bar reg and capsule is also on the hi-po 900Ts produced toward the end of their run.

On the 90 and 91 SPG, which had a Mitsu turbo, the wastegate actuator is, in fact, different than the 91-93 Turbo cars also fitted with a Mitsu (same turbo). For earlier, Garrett-equipped SPGs, there was no wastegate difference vs. a standard Turbo.

In addition to the lower, stiffer springs, the SPG got re-valved shocks.

For some years, the SPG got hi-po tires vs. standard Turbo cars. The SPG got a slightly more agressive alignment, too, IIRC.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
ejenner said:
different injectors. and some cars had a higher rated fuel pressure regulator (although I think they evened out this difference later on)
Injectors on Bosch LH2.2-equipped Aero/SPG and T16 cars are the same - 21lb/hr. Only the LPTs had the larger 27lb/hr (and also low impedance) injectors.

Earlier (upto MY85?) FPT 16v 900Ts had a 2.5bar FPR, later 16v FPT 900Ts had a 2.8bar FPR. Lucas and NA 16v cars had a 3.0bar FPR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts