SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Had a charging issue earlier, alternator tested well and all, but I'm sitting here staring at it and There's a terminal I don't recall a use for.

The one labled W (M?) at 6 o'clock between the static suppressor and the voltage regulator. Is that just for testing the windings? I have no wire harness leading to it. I know the field coil is activated via the little post and I assume grounded through the VR through the body of the alternator.

Someone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It's a "W" - stands for windings. That terminal is used in diesel applications, to provide an engine speed signal to a tachometer. Just use the normal B+ & D+.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hmmm that's not looking overly pristine .. is it?
Given the PITA involved in a Re and Re.
Why not get it rebuilt?
Local Auto Electric shop charges 100$ to same day rebuild Ones' self delivered and picked up Alternator.. supplying a 12 month warranty.
Likely a usual arrangement available elsewhere as well.

Yes not free, but a fair price imo.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given the PITA involved in a Re and Re.
Why not get it rebuilt?

1) Flat broke ATM. 2) It's actually not the nightmare to get out that most people say it is.

Take out toque mount, Take off torque mount bracket. Raise care enough to remove front portion of fender liner.
Took maybe half an hour?

Thing tested good, and now that it's back in, is providing good amperage/voltage. The copper contacts to the voltage regulator were good and green. Cleaned them up and it's just fine now. That's not to say in six months I won't be ripping it out again because it finally died, but this is all I can do at the moment.

Thanks Chengny for the info on the diesel application..Makes perfect sense. Was that for the mercedes that also used this alternator? I don't recall a diesel 9000 xD 900 maybe? I believe it also used the same alternator?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts