SaabCentral Forums banner

Questions You think are too stupid to ask

820651 Views 6255 Replies 1083 Participants Last post by  93inmo
I have not noticed one yet for 9-3SS's but I would like to make this thread, The Questions that you think are really stupid to ask thread. I got the idea from the 900 forum this morning as I posted a 9-3 specific question in that room... needless to say they didnt have an answer and they reminded me i was in the wrong year/model/make section of saab central...:(

Wow, this thread really is for the Saab/Mentally challenged individuals. ;) :p ;)
6241 - 6256 of 6256 Posts

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Well, the good news is that the youth are tuning Saabs, and roof racks on top are in style, so you should be able to get some reasonable money if they are in good condition. Maybe check how much roof racks are selling in your area; around here decent but not immaculate unused roof racks would be a reasonably quick sale if priced somewhat over $50.

You may also get someone who wants to actually carry stuff like lumber on top of their Saab! Roof load limit is 100kg, beats any Volvo roof spec I've seen.

· Registered
19 Posts
Well, the good news is that the youth are tuning Saabs, and roof racks on top are in style, so you should be able to get some reasonable money if they are in good condition. Maybe check how much roof racks are selling in your area; around here decent but not immaculate unused roof racks would be a reasonably quick sale if priced somewhat over $50.

You may also get someone who wants to actually carry stuff like lumber on top of their Saab! Roof load limit is 100kg, beats any Volvo roof spec I've seen
Awesome, thanks for the info and response!

· Registered
11,883 Posts
I'm looking at pulling a front level sensor in the junkyard.

WIS says "Release the upper ball section in the link arm".

Perhaps a stupid question, but is there any trick in releasing the ball section? Does it just pry off?

The question is less than 100% stupid as junkyard cars are lying on the ground (with wheels off) in the snow. I don't want to be futzing about or breaking something (there's only one HID-equipped 9-3 in the yard, far as I can tell).

Product Organism Font Motor vehicle Parallel

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Or unbolt ball part.
Good plan, although getting the ball off the arm proved impossible. But I did get the linkage, including the bracket holding the other end to the control arm.

Then I found another car with a bit easier to get at sensor, and managed to undo both sensor and link and bracket. I think some Ursula or Bengt woke up hung over from aquavit and said "Ya sure, we will make NG9-3 front level sensor hard to remove, you betcha!" Only a 10mm wrench will get in there, and that, awkwardly. Of course I did not have a 10mm ratcheting box wrench on hand, so it was, like, super-tedious to get those screws out. I also left blood on the ground. I suppose blood on the ground is the mark of a successful junkyard trip, though.

Guy at the counter said "that'll be $10." First bill I pulled out (bloody hands, remember) was a $5. I handed it and resumed fishing. He said "that's fine" and I said "thanks!" and that was it. Hopefully the link and/or sensor will fix the HID levelling error in my 2006!

· Registered
6 Posts
09x sedan with Haldex renoved from car/ Need to get the rear cover off but can't seem to remove it. Any suggestions?
Poncho replied to my query but I think he may have been refering to the cover for the filter. I'm looking to remove the plate between the Haldex unit and the differential. I've seen a video where it seems to fall off but I can't budge it.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Poncho replied to my query but I think he may have been refering to the cover for the filter. I'm looking to remove the plate between the Haldex unit and the differential. I've seen a video where it seems to fall off but I can't budge it.
Use something relatively thin & strong (pry bar, flathead screwdriver, etc) & tappy tap it off with a hammer working your way around a little on opposite sides each time. You want to be gentle enough not to cause damage where each side won't seal properly on reassembly....you're not looking to pry it off in one go, you're looking to break the corrosive bonds all the way around & let it fall off like you've seen.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
My Lime has low beam xenon and H7 is high beam. This is "xenon 2" setting in TECH2.
Low beam xenon do not have moving shutter at all.
You can change headlights to EU version, which have bi-xenon (with moving shutter) AND H7 high beams.

Audio/navigation has separate manual.
Another question regarding Lime, I expect it has the pull-on, pull-off high beam selector, same as my other Saabs. Did you change it for a Euro style high beam selector where you pull and leave forward for high beam, and push back to go to low beam?

I don't know if the North American method was required until some time after 2006. Many Canadian market cars (and probably US as well) now come with the Euro style high beam switch, including 2019 Chev Volt.

· Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
257 Posts
This isn't a stupid question, but maybe a bad idea. My oldest was sent a CIM clone tool by @Hirschmann & Koxha and we were wondering... if we clone a CIM, that will copy the keys. Could we clone a singe CIM and have the keys work for both of our 9-3s? How nice would it be to just grab a key and get in any 9-3 you have?
Of course unlocking the car you select unlocks all, and when we use comfort open they all would open.

Also, if anyone wants to see how the CIM clone tool works and you're in the Midwest (SW Missouri) we'd like to test it out. The device: CIM Tool | SW10060.

· Registered
15,472 Posts
if we clone a CIM, that will copy the keys. Could we clone a singe CIM and have the keys work for both of our 9-3s? How nice would it be to just grab a key and get in any 9-3 you have?
Of course unlocking the car you select unlocks all, and when we use comfort open they all would open.
That is terrible idea unless your cars are away from each other all time.
You can reset CIM and use new keys, but you can not use key which is already married to another car.

· Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
257 Posts
That is terrible idea unless your cars are away from each other all time.
You can reset CIM and use new keys, but you can not use key which is already married to another car.
Terrible idea? Yes. It would be a gimmick.
It's my understanding this CIM tool is capable of cloning the key IDs so a used CIM (with no keys) can replace a faulty CIM (with keys) by reading directly from the chip on the CIM.

6241 - 6256 of 6256 Posts