SaabCentral Forums banner
6221 - 6240 of 6256 Posts

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
596 Posts
I am still wondering where or how I could get a backup and/or the latest version of the 2006 nav DVD. North America. Eastern North America if it came to that. eBay not helpful here.
Got this from a German blog:
According to forum reports, however, there is a remedy: Suitable for the Saab system up to MY 2006 is also the navigation DVD for the Mazda 6 up to MY 2005 from Navteq. For this system you can buy the DVD from Navteq, it should work perfectly in the Saab system. Status of the DVD is currently 2008/2009, part number: SDAL T1000-14069. This DVD costs about 260 euros and would therefore be a cost-effective alternative to the SAAB DVD from the dealer.

I read in WIS that CA/US 2003-2006 cars with HID do not do bi-xenon, they just leave the HID on low beam and add H7 high beam. Is this true? (I don't know and can't easily check at the moment.) Can that be fixed, or do the "DOT" headlights leave out the shutter movement mechanism?
Probably they have a solution for you, or something similar is available overseas: Saab 9-5 Aero 02-05 bi-xenon headlight repair & upgrade kit for xenon HID headlights

Last question, where would information on using the nav system be found? I have a bunch of 2004 infotainment manuals, but ICM3 is not mentioned. Maybe it is in the 2006 version of that guide, but if I have one, I have not found it. Car did not come with one.
Is ICM3 = Saab Infotainment Plus? If, you may want to follow this link to a manual (which is from 2004 but includes a nav section): https://www.steadysaabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Saab-3-infotainment-user-manual-2004.pdf

· Registered
15,472 Posts
My Lime has low beam xenon and H7 is high beam. This is "xenon 2" setting in TECH2.
Low beam xenon do not have moving shutter at all.
You can change headlights to EU version, which have bi-xenon (with moving shutter) AND H7 high beams.

Audio/navigation has separate manual.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Got this from a German blog:
According to forum reports, however, there is a remedy: Suitable for the Saab system up to MY 2006 is also the navigation DVD for the Mazda 6 up to MY 2005 from Navteq. For this system you can buy the DVD from Navteq, it should work perfectly in the Saab system. Status of the DVD is currently 2008/2009, part number: SDAL T1000-14069. This DVD costs about 260 euros and would therefore be a cost-effective alternative to the SAAB DVD from the dealer.

Thanks, I will do a bit of chasing. Perhaps I can find a Mazda in the junkyard with this!

Is ICM3 = Saab Infotainment Plus? If, you may want to follow this link to a manual (which is from 2004 but includes a nav section): https://www.steadysaabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Saab-3-infotainment-user-manual-2004.pdf
Huh, that's a 2004 infotainment manual. I have a few, maybe one has the nav info? Will have to look more carefully.

My Lime has low beam xenon and H7 is high beam. This is "xenon 2" setting in TECH2.
You can change headlights to EU version, which have bi-xenon (with moving shutter) AND H7 high beams.

Audio/navigation has separate manual.
I shudder to ask what the cost of a pair of 2004-2006 EU HID headlights might be. But I will ask anyway, even if Hallowe'en is long over.

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
596 Posts
Thanks, I will do a bit of chasing. Perhaps I can find a Mazda in the junkyard with this!
Forgot to mention that the Mazda part number is for the Euro DVD, just in case that you extend your chase into the net.

About your question regarding to create a backup copy of your DVD: maybe CDBurnerXP could be of use.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
I shudder to ask what the cost of a pair of 2004-2006 EU HID headlights might be. But I will ask anyway, even if Hallowe'en is long over.
You can probably find an RHD set relatively cheaply on ebay.co.uk. And, thanks to Mimmi's tip, you can just flip down the shutter and use them with a symmetric beam instead of with the RHD configuration...

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Interesting that HID is available as a stand-alone option. Both my Saabs with HID also have rain-sensing wiper, autodimming mirror, SPA. That's the "visibility" package. (I question the usefulness of the rain-sensing wipers.)

Do you find the performance of high beams good enough on your car? Much of Canada, like much of Finland, is dark and moose-infested. Although deer are a bigger problem closer to me, even in suburban areas. Of course, you don't want to hit a raccoon, fox, opossum, or coyote either. All these I have seen in front of my house. And skunks--definitely do not hit!

Huh, that's a 2004 infotainment manual. I have a few, maybe one has the nav info? Will have to look more carefully.
Well, all three of the 2004 9-3 Infotainment manuals I have do not cover ISM3. They are all copyright 2003, for MY2004. I wonder if the scanned manual is an MY2005 manual, copyright 2004? I will have to continue hunting for later infotainment manuals. (I have a store of Saab manuals, I always grab ones in decent condition from the junkyard, and usually they don't charge for those.)

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Interesting that HID is available as a stand-alone option.
Not sure specifically what you are referring to, but European market cars tend to allow you to be very particular about options, whereas North American markets seem to group everything together into option packages.

Though, I never bought a new Saab, so I don't know how they made things available. I can tell you my UK market Aeros both have bixenon lights, manual seats, and no rain sensing wipers. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
15,472 Posts
I have even met 9-3 which has ICM1 (no display), rag interior with manual seats etc, but xenon lights.
Yep, here we had all extras in separate list which you can choose what you want (and what you can afford).

· Registered
15,472 Posts
Here in Finland it is also "bad skiing season" (read: summer) and we have twilight (not dark) at night.
So I have been fine with Lime's high beams in summer.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Here in Finland it is also "bad skiing season" (read: summer) and we have twilight (not dark) at night.
So I have been fine with Lime's high beams in summer.
Hmm. I am more at the latitude of Marseilles. Also, September and even into October are good times for convertible driving, as it is not too cold and you don't get sunstroke. But that is also the time when deer are a definite hazard after dark.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
According to EPC, there were different part numbers for front level sensor for HID for 2003-5 and 2006. However, all are replaced by the same part number.

My question is, will any front level sensor work on a 2006? Shop reports that either the linkage or arm is broken on the front sensor, which is the likely cause of the levelling system error. Junkyards may have any ol' year of HID....

· Registered
15,472 Posts
Yes. You need TECH2 for recalibrating sensors.
What were DTC?
DTC shows which sensor (or some other part) is failing.

· Registered
07 Saab 9-3 60th
127 Posts
Anyone here that had clicking noise when slowly backing and turning steering wheel? Like a rotational clicking that sped up as the car would? I am sure most of you have but did replacing the swaybar links fix the problem? It did for me.....
I had it in for state inspection and figured I'd let them know it probably needed new driver strut mount bearings or the cv joint is bad. I got a call saying it need the swaybar links to fix the problem. I was like, yeah right no way that's fixing it but go ahead and throw them on......well now I'm eating crow lol!

Not to mention all this horse ponies from this CAI. It keeps the engine nice and warm in these winter months. Don't even have to wait long for the heat to start blowing from this thing. Butt dyno says I picked up bout 50 horsepowers........ ;)
HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Yes. You need TECH2 for recalibrating sensors.
What were DTC?
DTC shows which sensor (or some other part) is failing.
That is the funny thing. I ran Tech II diagnostics and it had quite a few codes, including for things that had most likely been fixed but codes not cleared. However, SID said levelling error, but I did not see any AHL error codes. :rolleyes:

ETA: car is at the shop, and I hope it stays there as I don't have space in the driveway. 2004 CV needs to go in the spring!

· Registered
39 Posts
Actually the rain sensor is mounted on the windscreen (windshield), not the blades!

The sensor is in the swept area of the blades, and an LED emits infra-red light which is reflected back from the outer surface of the windscreen to a photodiode.

When you operate the wiper stalk this activates the rain sensor mode. As water droplets build up on the screen the light reflected is scattered. The photo diode measures this and therefore knows when to operate the wipers. It uses this information to vary the intermittent delay interval on the wipers.

Clever eh?
That makes more sense...M0st people dont buy Saab wiper blades...

· Registered
15,472 Posts
That is the funny thing. I ran Tech II diagnostics and it had quite a few codes, including for things that had most likely been fixed but codes not cleared. However, SID said levelling error, but I did not see any AHL error codes. :rolleyes:

ETA: car is at the shop, and I hope it stays there as I don't have space in the driveway. 2004 CV needs to go in the spring!
You can have leveling error in SID if you have broken rod and sensor do not change values comparing another sensor.

· Registered
19 Posts
Probably a dumb question but this appears to be the right place for it. I have an extra OEM Thule roof rack for my 2009 9-3 that I'm looking to sell.

Do these work with any other cars? Just curious how much of a market there is for these at this point.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Probably a dumb question but this appears to be the right place for it. I have an extra OEM Thule roof rack for my 2009 9-3 that I'm looking to sell.

Do these work with any other cars? Just curious how much of a market there is for these at this point.
Depends if it's a generic Thule rack with some fit kit, or a rack specifically made for the 9-3.

6221 - 6240 of 6256 Posts